Valentine’s Day brings mixed emotions

Valentine’s Day is arguably both one of the most anticipated and dreaded days of the year. The US alone spends $29.5 billion a year on it. It is estimated that 145 million greeting cards are exchanged every year, while about 8 million are produced for the day, and all together consumers buy 58 million pounds of chocolate. With its promise of romance (or disappointment if unreciprocated) it’s no surprise that the students of CVHS have some strong opinions about it.     

“Valentine’s Day is great. People always dote on how they don’t have a valentine but I feel like the holiday is so much more than that. I think it’s not only a day for romantic partners but for the people we care about in our life, and to share love! I feel like people who only focus on the boyfriend/girlfriend part don’t understand the true embodiment of the holiday,” said junior Haley Johnson.

Other  people did not have the same kind sentiments to share about the holiday and expressed their feelings about it. 

“I’m a hater for Valentine’s Day. Why do we need one day to show someone we love them? I get it’s different for everyone but it feels forced to tell/show someone you love them,” said junior Sofia Myers. 

When asked about both of their plans for Valentine’s Day both Johnson and Myers said they are opting for the “galentine’s day” route, spending quality time with their friends. 

“I’m going to be spending time with my family, probably my mom and my sister,” said sophomore Gracie Lopez. 

Even for people who are in relationships the day can be daunting, the pressure of doing something romantic can overwhelm a young couple. 

“It can be a really fun day for some people to spend time with their boyfriends and girlfriends, but it can also be really stressful for people to plan and do stuff like that,” said junior Porter Baria. 

Whether you like the holiday or not it is definitely a day on everyone’s radar, that creates a hint of suspense in the air. Some students were fine riding out the holiday and enjoying simply the benefits that come along with it. 

“Valentine’s is great, I love the discounted candy hearts,” said junior Zenia Rocha.

Valentine’s Day is simply a day to express your love for others. Whether you are in a relationship or not, it is just a little way to say to the people close to you, “I love you.” At the very least, you can enjoy some discounted chocolate the day after. 

One thought on “Valentine’s Day brings mixed emotions

• Miranda D

I agree that a lot of people don’t really appreciate the whole aspect of this holiday. You don’t need to have a partner to enjoy valentines day, it’s simply a day to be grateful about the people we have in our life, to be grateful for our life, and also a treat for ourselves. We should always be grateful about these things but this holiday could be an extra little reminder to say thanks and be appreciative!