FeatureSlider

AP art students expand their horizons at Oakland Museum of California

The CVHS AP art class toured the Oakland Museum of California (OMCA) as their first field trip of the year. But what is the value of viewing and having exposure to art? AP art students share their thoughts.

“The Oakland Museum was such a fun experience and I’m so glad I got to go with my art class! Seeing the new exhibits was really really eye opening because of all the dynamic and unique artwork.” said senior Wendy Lin.

Additionally, Lin said her favorite exhibit was the “Into the Brightness” exhibition. The works are put together from three different art institutions in the Bay Area, Creatively Explored, Creative Growth, and Nurturing Independence Through Artistic Development (NIAD). The art is made up of a multitude of media and has an emphasis on color. The OMCA will be showcasing the exhibit up until Jan. 21, 2024.

The museum had only recently opened its doors to school trips, and art teacher, Alexis Knudsen, didn’t hesitate to sign up her AP art class for the opportunity. Upon arrival, the class was welcomed in an hour before opening to the public, allowing for a unique observation of the works. 

Senior Ace Lafon said the OMCA was “an exciting place to go if you want to learn about the ecosystems, history, or art,” highlighting the museum’s diverse showing. Lafon also said “They have various artists with unique styles,” and that it’s “very fun to experience and see other local artists being showcased in other parts of the museum.” 

The other special exhibition at the OMCA is “Por el Pueblo: The Legacy and Influence of Malaquías Montoya,” an exhibition that combines art and history. It presents the works of Montoya, an artist, activist, and leader. His works have long served the Chicano community by spotlighting political and social justice issues. The works of artists inspired by Montoya are on display as well, and the entire exhibition will be on show until Jan. 30, 2024.

In a more modern world, looking at art has become a lot more accessible through the internet, but even then, museums have yet to lose their value. Knudsen gives her perspective, saying: “Most of the time we view art these days, it’s on a screen, and there’s some level of self-selection happening (like following artists you already know you like on social media). Going to a museum takes the curatorial control away from you: You don’t choose what’s on view there. Instead, you walk in and see what you see, notice what you notice, and wonder what you wonder.” 

This gives AP art students, and any student really, an opportunity to take in creative works in a way they normally wouldn’t. “The experience opens you up to new ideas, and allows you to engage with real, physical artwork in front of you in all its textural and full-scale glory, instead of recreated digitally on a little screen,” Knudsen further explained.