FeatureSlider

CVHS music groups wow audiences at annual Fall Preview Concert

The Center for the Arts began to fill with a nearly sold-out audience of friends and family on the evening of Friday, Sept. 15. At 7:05 p.m., the rumbling anticipation dropped into silence as students began to stand atop risers, humming the note they needed before they began to sing. 

When the first song, “T’amo Mia Vita,” concluded, choir director Laryssa Sadoway introduced the audience to the Madrigals, the honors choir. As she did so, soloists Angel Smith, Doris Wu, and Lily Klepatsky stepped forward for the next song, a gospel piece titled “Death Came a-Knocking.” The choir’s powerful singing stunned many members of the audience.

When the Madrigals finished, they left the stage to join their fellow choir members in the tour and competing Acapella choir. Altogether, they flowed back on stage for the next song, “More Waters Rising.” The students sang about the strength and faith needed to wade through the waters, walk through the fire, and rebuild a mountain.

Excitement remained in the crowd as the choir departed and CVHS symphonic orchestra came onstage. As the students tuned their instruments, the new instrumental music teacher, Troy Rexelle, readied his baton.

The symphonic orchestra began with a bright piece that pulsed with somber undertones. Their next song, “Aladdin,” was familiar to those growing up watching Disney and featured spectacularly performed tunes like “Arabian Nights.” The orchestra’s final piece featured first chair violinist Clare Chung. During the performance, Chung played confidently, floating alongside the ensemble and impressing many in the audience.

“I was impressed with Clare’s solo and the cellos were beautiful. I loved how their vibrato was so smooth and they were able to work with minimal movement,” said senior Elinor Matyovits. “I also really liked the violas; they had a good vibe and they kept smiling to each other.”

After the applause died down, the orchestra made way for the Wind Ensemble, also conducted by Rexelle. They opened with a piece entitled “Heroes Near and Far,” which began with a brass fanfare and used flutes and clarinets to add a touch of mysticality. Their second piece, “Dusk,” started off with the flute section before many instruments joined in for a triumphant crescendo and a fading ending. 

The finale of the night, “Apollo Arise,” was named after the Greek god of the sun. It was fittingly loud and maintained a feeling of adrenaline throughout the performance. The audience erupted into cheers at its conclusion, impressed by the work that CVHS music students have put in the first few weeks of school and excited for their performances in the months to come.