FeatureSlider

CVHS community closet gives back to Castro Valley

Due to COVID-19 restrictions and low income, it has become harder for kids to obtain necessities, such as clothing and toiletries. Although there are other organizations and programs within the year, many have been unable to function as usual while the pandemic continues. However, CVHS is pushing through these constraints in the best way possible. 

“During PE one day, one of the PE teachers asked if leadership had any toiletries because some of the kids in our class didn’t have access to these things. I decided to start planning out different ways to get these items out to kids on campus,” said ASB Vice President Lauren Green. 

Green, the Leadership class, and the Wellness Center have created the Community Closet, which is a place where students at CVHS and other schools can come to the Wellness Center to pick up clothing, toiletries, and more. This is beneficial, especially for kids who have benefited from other programs, like Adopt-A-Family, in the past. 

When the school opens back up in April, the Leadership class plans to arrange times where students and families can donate gently used clothing, toiletries, and other necessities. They plan to both distribute these donations to the children all around Castro Valley and set up specific dates where these children can come by to pick out whatever they need. 

“I donated general clothes like leggings, bigger shirts, jackets and sweaters. It felt nice knowing that the clothes I had just sitting could actually go to someone who need them,” said junior Sophia Low, a Leadership student. 

As expected, the pandemic has changed how the community closet is currently functioning. The Leadership class wasn’t able to start the closet at the beginning of the year, like intended. It also has been hard to arrange times where kids can drop materials off at campus, while still following COVID guidelines. Despite this, they are working through the obstacles in order to set up times for small groups to distribute the items. 

“Accepting donations has been difficult because it isn’t COVID friendly to have students come to campus to drop stuff off. We’re trying to work through the different tiers while still following the COVID guidelines,” said Green.

The Community Closet hopes to get as many donations as possible to help those who need it. If you have any clothing, toiletries and backpacks that you would like to donate, make sure to stop by the Wellness Center. For more information, contact the Wellness Center, the Leadership class, or Green.

11 thoughts on “CVHS community closet gives back to Castro Valley

• Props to Lauren and everyone involved in organizing this whole thing! It’s so nice to see such selfless acts of kindness. I hope many students are able to benefit from the community closet.

• Haylie L.

I really like this idea and that we can easily support people in our community, I will definitely be making a donation later this week

• Leah Janaway

This is a really important resource and I applaud Lauren and the rest of Leadership for making it happen. I hope many kids who are in need are able to utilize it.

• Alice Tang

I really like this concept of a Community Closet. Nobody, especially kids, should struggle to get their necessities and during a pandemic too. I’m grateful to Lauren for coming up with the idea and organizing it. I really hope this continues after the pandemic too.

• Alex Tam

I really admire Lauren for coming up with this idea and following through with it. Having a community closet will help a lot of people in need, and I’m excited to see when it is finally able to be up and running in a normal year.

• I think this is a super great idea, especially because of the pandemic things have been harder to get, no student should have to struggle to get essential items.

• John Mahoney

I think this sounds like a good idea. Some people could really benefit from what the Closet offers.

• Tiffany Ho

I think that the Community Closet is a great way for people in the Castro Valley community to support one another. COVID-19 has been hard on some families, so I think this will help individuals and families in need.

• Charlize Tran

I really like this concept of giving back to the community, especially for people in need of these resources during the pandemic. Many families are going through such different circumstances that impact their lifestyles during COVID, and I think it’s important to come together to help support & provide for these individuals in time of need.

• Leah Biruk

I think this is a great idea to help people because the pandemic has affected a lot of people and they may not have access to some of these things.

• Leah Biruk