FeatureSlider

Dia de los Muertos celebrates passed loved ones

The CVHS Latinos Unidos club and the Puente class held their second annual Día de los Muertos event on Nov. 1. The event featured food, art from Spanish classes, games, music, and an ofrenda altar to remember loved ones.

“I think it’s a really good opening event to make our club known and lets us express our culture,” says junior Joanne Hernandez.

Día de los Muertos, which translates to “Day of the Dead” is widely celebrated each year in Mexico from Oct. 31 to Nov. 2. Families cook favorite dishes and treats of their passed loved ones and decorate altars filled with flowers and ceramic skulls. The event was free for all visitors to celebrate and share the culture of the widely known Mexican holiday.

“It’s a great place to meet people from other communities because it’s not just Latinos who come to this event and celebrate this holiday,” said Latinos Unidos president Georgina Cortez.

In many other countries, families celebrate their family and friends who have passed away during All Saints Day which is celebrated every year on Nov. 1. Families of many different backgrounds attended the event, bringing an opportunity to share and connect with different cultures. Throughout the event, people welcomed and played games, talked, and observed Mexican art made especially for the occasion.

“I think it’s an amazing way to meet other people and we can all come together and celebrate,” says Cortez.