Feature

Asian American Culture Club spreads awareness and shows pride

CVHS is filled with over 70 different clubs ranging from robotics to dance to volunteer, giving students a diverse selection to choose from. This school year, Justin Tong started the Asian American Culture Club to spread Asian American culture and awareness throughout the community and campus.

“I’ve always wanted a club like this at our school,” said Tong, the club’s president.

After the release of the movies “Crazy Rich Asians” and “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before,” he noticed the success and the increase of diversity in the media for Asian Americans. It was the push he needed to start this club.

Asian American Culture Club members want to show students at this school that Asian Americans are a diverse group of people who aren’t better or worse than any other people.

“Asian Americans or any other ethnic group should have pride in their backgrounds and cultures,” said Tong.

Meetings for the club are every other Wednesday in Room 705. During the club meetings, the officers lead a discussion about different Asian countries and they talk about any updates on the club has regarding merchandise and events.

At the moment, the club doesn’t have any upcoming events, but the Cherry Blossom Festival and the Taiwanese American Cultural Festival are some of the events to look forward to later in the year.

“In the future, I hope the club stays relevant in CVHS and that its message of Asian American representation gets spread throughout the school,” said Tong. “I also hope my board and I would work to be able to run the club more efficiently so that we can provide our members a better experience in the future.”