Library gets social on Instagram

Native Americans from various tribes prepare for and participate in elaborate ceremonies, as Maimouna “Mumu Fresh” Youssef and Christian “Supaman” Parrish vocalize on the importance of water to native traditions. Scenes from the Dakota Access Pipeline protests are shown throughout the clip.

This video was posted on Oct. 8 in honor of Indigenous People’s Day by Dana Adams, teacher librarian, who curates the new CVHS Library Instagram account, @cvhslibrary. Adams posts topics ranging from library activities and information to student creations and even memes.

Since its creation, the account has featured the release of several butterflies raised within the library, an instructional tutorial for using the library’s catalog system over the phone, and some student works, among other things.

“The idea behind it is that it’s an easy way to get information out. We’re able to put it on Instagram right away, announce new books, promote National Coming Out Day, National Girl Day, poets, there’s lots we can do,” Adams stated.

Adams, in her second year working at CVHS, has over a dozen years of experience as a teacher librarian at Diablo Valley College and Maya Lin School in Alameda. She and Melissa Bateatte, library assistant, run the CVHS Library. Together, they have brought several major changes as extending opening hours to 7:30 a.m. until 6 p.m. on most days and heavily encouraging student interactivity with activities towards the front of the library. Currently, Adams is advocating for a student library book wishlist.

“I’ve enjoyed offering a place in a high school where students can be themselves and discuss interests, collaborating with teachers, and integrating the inquiry process into teaching and writing,” Adams said.

“I think connection is really important for them. They are aware of current events and teen culture and try to connect with students and encourage thinking and reading,” commented Kathleen Stacy, English teacher. “It allows the library to reach new students. More students have an opportunity to see what’s out there and utilize the free resources that are available.”