Musa makes math amusing

We all studied the Great Pyramids in Egypt; we love all the myths and stories that have come from one of the seven world wonders. But many do not know that the Nubians helped build the historic monuments, and that the Nubians and the Egyptians both ruled Egypt.

Lucky for us all, we have a fantastic mathematics teacher Sharafeldin Musa who is a descendant of the great Nubians. Musa began his journey in Northern Sudan, where he was born and raised.

Musa went to University of Gezira in Sudan; graduating with honors, he received his bachelor’s degree in textile technology.

Since the graduate requirements in Sudan are much higher, Musa graduated with 193 credits, while in the United States the requirement is only 120 credits. He was therefore highly looked upon.

He then came to the California in 1992 and continued school where he got his master’s degree in education and his teaching credentials as a Sudanese American.

“He is a friendly fellow,” said Jason Seever, one of his students.

Musa returns to Sudan every few years to visit his brothers and sisters.

“The US has a great appreciation for different backgrounds,” said Musa.

Musa has been teaching for ten years and even has two sons who attend CVHS. In his classroom, he never fails to promote the diversity in his students.

“During Days of Diversity or holidays we write on the board to celebrate. I write in Arabic and I let the students write in different languages, so we end up with about ten languages,” said Musa.

Musa can fluently speak three languages: English, Arabic, and Nubian, with English being his third language.

One thought on “Musa makes math amusing

• Fatima Eissa

the Sudanese also are very proud of him. He is always there to offer his help in the time of need. Do not foreget the love and loyality he has towards both his family and community.