“Wild Isles” explores wildlife in British Isles

The large orca pods swim through the cold waters of the northernmost point of the British Isles, passing stones and obstacles to get one thing: their prey, a small seal that has caught the orcas’ eye. With waters full of food, the orcas have no trouble finding a surplus of innocent gray seals to feast on.

The orcas have developed a strategy to catch these quick seals very efficiently, through the element of surprise. They would sneak under large bodies of kelp and attack from the bottom to snatch any seals nearby. Then the chase would begin, the orcas failing to catch their prey from the kelp, they began to chase the seal as fast as they could. Eventually, the entire pod of orcas would encircle the small seal and eat it in the cold water.

When I watched the entire series of “Wild Isles,” it was extremely interesting to see just one specific area’s nature and animal kingdom, which in this case was Great Britain and Ireland. 

Narrated by the great David Attenborough, the Amazon Prime series went through five different ecosystems which included the isles themselves, woodlands, grasslands, freshwater regions, and the ocean. Like all of Attenborough’s documentaries, they truly show the world from a different perspective, one that I would have never really seen before if it wasn’t for these outstanding productions that have been going on for many years. 

Another one of Attenborough’s goals that he has always mentioned in his recent documentaries is bringing awareness to the decline in nature. With the warming climate and destruction of ecosystems around the world, Attenborough pleaded for everyone to at least try to do something for nature. In a powerful quote, he said, “Whilst it’s tempting to think of those on the frontline as the only ones who can make a difference, the truth is every one of us, no matter where we live, can and must play a part in restoring nature to our isles.”

The Isles of Great Britain include some of the most extravagant locations that I have ever seen in nature documentaries. Locations such as the Lackford Lakes, Farne Islands, Clattinger Meadows and so many more were all used to create an amazing series. 

With Attenborough taking us on an adventure through the great British Isles, you too will see magnificent experiences that so many different animals go through, whether it is foxes in the low meadows or great orcas looking for prey, I guarantee you will enjoy this documentary one episode after another.

2 thoughts on ““Wild Isles” explores wildlife in British Isles

• Scott Baldwin

I’m really intrigued by this. I love David Attenborough and all of his nature-related works, this seems like a cool new topic to focus on. I’ll be sure to check it out soon.

• Grace

This show sounds interesting, I will be sure to check it out sometime!