FeatureHighlights

Broadcast Club expands access to sports

The CVHS Broadcast Club, run by Jag Mishra with Jeff Vendsel as faculty advisor, includes over 180 motivated students. Many people think of the Broadcast Club as a group of students that are forced to go to sports games and make some lighthearted commentary in the background. In reality, the Broadcast Club is a great way to create stronger bonds and bring people closer together from spending hours outside of school. 

“People should join the club because it provides young adults with an inside lens of what TV and video production entails. In addition, to me it’s less of a club and more of a large family and/or friend group. Everybody is close with everybody and we love just having a good time and creating a positive impact within our community.” says club president Mishra. 

The Broadcast Club consists of students going to different sports games, recording the varsity games and making humorous but yet informative remarks at the same time. 

“I joined in the beginning because I had a lot of friends in the club, but I’m really glad that I did because going to the games with my friends and making funny comments in the background is really fun,” explained Ilana Brown. 

Vendsel’s goal is to allow students to have fun, while also being informative to parents who may not have been able to come to their child’s games. Since the club live streams games on their YouTube channel, it allows people who may not have been able to make the games watch them. They also consistently post on their Instagram in hopes to get more followers and viewers. 

“Everybody felt like a family and we started getting really close. We do have over 100 members but there’s a really tight nip between the people who stayed, and we’re doing really big things recently,” says club member Paolo Muniz. 

They try to make it to every home game, and even the away games if someone is available. The school is generous enough to provide them with a little bit of money to help them get all of the equipment they need, like cameras. They also do a little bit of fundraising on their own to upgrade to better equipment for the enjoyment of their viewers. 

Meetings are every Monday after school in room F7 up in the portables. If you have time, be sure to check it out! 

7 thoughts on “Broadcast Club expands access to sports

• Zean Ylaya

I am so proud of this club, this club doesn’t fail to amaze me with how strong willed these students are. Jag is extremely passionate with what he does and it is very noticeable. I can see that this club gained lots of attention and I am very excited for what the future holds down for this club.

• AJ Gudino

The broadcasting club is amazing and I think it is really cool that students at the school put in so much effort to make sure that most athletic events are covered and broadcasted for many to see. I am not sure if the club was available last year but what makes the broadcasts great is that it makes the game available for parents who may not be able to go watch in person, whether because of covid or work.

• Aiden Frost

I think that the broadcasting club is an important aspect of our community here at CVHS. The club helps everyone by informing others about what is going on in sports and all-around school. I also believe that it’s important because there may be people that don’t go to sports events because they are busy with other tasks, so having the ability to hear or listen to it another time can be useful.

• I think this is so cool even though I never knew we have a broadcast club, already had over 100 members in the club, I will check it out if I have time. I think it’s helpful that some people might not care about what’s going on on our campus, and this is a very fun way to know.

• Anonymous

I think the broadcast club is a great way to practice speaking skills and working in a team. The club is a lot of fun and just like what Jag said, you can tell that everyone is as close as family. It is a great idea to make this club and give the opportunity of seeing the game to parents or students who couldn’t be there for whatever reason.

• Finnigan Chilton

I think the broadcast club has been a really cool thing to see come alive during this school year. Especially playing football it was awesome to see them commentating on us and calling our names.

• anonymous

I think it’s really cool that we get to see our different sports at the school broadcast live so we can still watch even if we’re busy with something else and cannot attend a game.