EntertainmentHighlights

Do not say adieu to Wordle

What’s your starting word? If you have never heard of the game Wordle this may seem like a strange question. The word game was developed by Josh Wardle who created the daily game for his wife who loves word games. The game is adapted from Lingo, an old game show, but without the Bingo aspect.

The game became so big that on Jan. 31, 2022 the New York Times bought Wordle. This is making fans worry about the possibility that the free game may cost money in the future which would cause a decline of players. 

I started playing the game because it had taken up all of my social media platforms. Once I played one game, I instantly got hooked. I was curious to see if any of my friends played. To my surprise many of them had never heard it and I eagerly encouraged them to play so we can all bond over our best strategies.

According to the New York Times there are over 300,000 players and the number is growing every day. To play, players simply need to search “Wordle” into their browser or download the app. There is only one word per day and everyone has the same word to guess. This allows for players to easily share and talk about their results. 

The premise of the game is simple. There are six tries to guess a five letter word. After you enter each guess the letters will change color: gray means it’s not in the word, yellow means it’s in the word but not in that position and green means it is the correct letter and position. 

Many people discuss the different strategies to guess the word in the least amount of tries. This is where the question of what someone’s starting word comes from. The most popular words are words like adieu which test if there are any vowels in the word (except for y) in one turn. Other players focus on the data by finding the frequency of each letter commonly found in five letter words which boil down to starting words like irate or later.

If players can not get enough of the game then there are plenty of parody games available. For example, if you are a Swiftie you may be interested in Taylordle, where all the words are related to Taylor Swift. Another example is if you were into choral music you may like Byrdle, where all the words are related to choral music. I found myself attracted to the Wordle archives that contained all the previous dates’ words.

The game is easy for people of all ages to understand and it usually takes only a couple minutes out of my day to do it. I would recommend everyone to try it at least once to see what the hype is really about.

24 thoughts on “Do not say adieu to Wordle

• Jack Pronske

I still enjoy playing wordle to this day

• Jakob Cahill

I found wordle when browsing the internet and it’s so fun. I play it pretty much every day and it’s super addicting.

• I’ve heard of Wordle from my friends and family, but I keep putting off playing it. With its popularity, I think I’ll go download it now to see what the hype is all about.

• Wordle is still fun game to this day but it’s sad to know they got rid of Wordle Archive where you can access previous puzzles.

• Joshua Tong

Wordle is a very fun and addicting game to play with friends and family and I am surprised to see how much it has grown. My family always sends each other their wordle scores and competes with one another. I think that it is a good game for expanding your five letter word vocabulary and makes you really think throughout the day. I agree that the premise is simple and easy to understand which is why it is so popular among all ages. My go to word usually ends with -eam which I seem to constantly change every day.

• I have yet to get into completing wordles every day but a lot of my friends have. They take a lot of consideration in the letters and words they are choosing and thing about it all day. The game has recently become really popular and lots of people are now addicted.

• Giovanni

Wordle is more than a game to me. This game is super important in my eyes and on a daily, I must get the word or else my day does not feel complete. I find it funny how I am not left alone on this one.

• Ian Wong

I like this game because not only does it help expand my mind and vocabulary, but it also is very fun and addicting to play.

• Andrew Arias

i enjoyed this article because ive played this before.

• I like how there is so many different strategies to this game i never new about.

• I enjoyed this article as a wordle player.

• I think it’s crazy how many people play wordle. It’s gotten really popular, especially recently. I’ve only played it a couple of times, and it was really fun! I have some friends that play it every day and they always talk about their strategies and how many tries it took to guess that day’s word.

• Jason Zheng

I Love wordle and I never knew there is different strategy to guess the word faster.

• Delenn Block

One of my friends introduced me to the game and now we play it almost everyday in the mornings. Its a good time killer in the mornings and helps me learn new words. Its fun seeing how long it takes to guess and ill definitely continue to play.

• ethan shum

Wordle is so fun and addictive!

• Maya Wong

I have been playing Wordle every day for about three weeks now. It has been a fun routine for me. As a huge Swiftie, I did not know that Taylordle was a thing… I just played it now, and I love it!

• Drew Paxman

I’ve found myself being pretty addicted to this game, as well. There’s a unique simplicity with the game that makes it challenging but not frustratingly so. Definitely agree that the game is not super hard to understand, and its un-complicatedness allows the game to make up for that through distinct and arbitrary words.

• Jessica Truong

I’ve been doing the Wordle daily for a while now and it’s pretty addicting. I’ve even downloaded the apps that let you play infinite rounds. I hope that in the future they won’t charge people to play Wordle because it’s fun coming to school and hearing people talk about the daily word.

• anonymous

I was introduced to wordle by one of my friends and it’s really good. I think it has gotten more popular over time because of how fun it is.

• Felix Dang

I’ve been pretty addicted to this game ever since I heard about it. I never thought I would enjoy it because it just seemed so boring and you could only solve one word a day. But, waiting to play tomorrow just adds up the excitement and it makes you want to play more and more. Wordle has been so popular that a person made another game based off it called, “Squabble”. It’s basically a multiplayer version of Wordle where you can compete with your friends and whoever survives the longest is the winner. When I introduced that version of Wordle to me my friends, we all played it for quite a while.

• Malia

I was recently introduced to Wordle by my sister, and I’ve been playing every day since then. The game has become very popular today, and it’s fun to compare results with friends. It was interesting to learn about how Wordle came about and the growth that it has had since its origin.

• Mayumi

I was introduced to Wordle by my cousin and now I’m hooked. I play every day with my sister and we introduced our mom to it, so she plays with us as well. The three of us made it into a competition to see who can get the word in the least amount of tries. It’s so fun and doesn’t take too much time out of my day. The fact that there’s only one word per day adds to the excitement about playing the next day. I also like that it’s a way for me to bond with my mom and sister.

• I was introduced to wordle in my first period class and it instantly became one of my favorite passing times during the day. I assumed that wordle has been around for years but to hear that it has recently come to our devices is a surprise.

• Sophie Zhang

I really enjoyed this article as a Wordle player and a Taylor Swift fan. It was really interesting to learn about how Wordle originated and how its grown recently.