EntertainmentSliderVideo

Be there or be square, watch “A Very Cubed World”

“A Very Cubed World” is a short film shot, acted, and edited almost completely by CVHS students. The mind behind the film is CVHS senior Zac Furber-Dobson who acted, directed, and wrote the short. Senior Atticus Spence and sophomore Sophia Pereira lend their acting talents to produce some haunting and extremely entertaining performances. Matthew Erickson, Martín Martínez Gonzalez, Logan Phulps, and Joseph Sodano are all CVHS students who worked on the project as crewmembers.

Viewers from Castro Valley will recognize many of the locations in the film like the Castro Valley Community Center, Parsons Park, or even the Castro Valley Rite Aid. “A Very Cubed World” premiered on a red carpet on Saturday, Jan. 15 to a select audience of friends and family that I was privileged to attend along with the cast and crew. 

“It was really my inspiration from some of my favorite films like the sunken place specifically in ‘Get Out,’ ‘Hereditary,’ and some David Lynch films such as ‘Eraserhead’ and ‘Mulholland Drive,’” said the director Furber-Dobson.

“I tried to make a movie that is left to the viewer’s own interpretation. It blurs the line between coherent stories and different genres and styles. This ‘abstraction’ is where I believe creativity flourishes,” Furber-Dobson.

The film itself almost eludes description but can be loosely called a comedic psychological thriller, not dissimilar to many “Adult Swim” shorts. Giving an unbiased description of the actual plot is a difficult task. It is left to the viewer’s own interpretation.

The nine-minute picture is made up almost entirely of conversations between the three characters. It was shot completely on a phone camera and is an exploration of filmmaking style that is very obviously a passion project from all those involved.

“We had two days of shooting and a couple more for reshoots later on,” said cast member Sophia Pereira.

“The editing process took about a month and a half,” Furber-Dobson mentioned.

“The time that was spent in between not performing in a school play was very lonesome and boring so I decided to curate this project to keep me occupied,” Furber-Dobson explained when asked how this story began. It all started as a simple improv scene that grew into the eventual final product.

“Zac was a very good director and I had fun messing around with the cast,” said crewmember Joseph Sodano.

“A Very Cubed World” can be found on Furber-Dobson’s youtube channel, “Grudgeattic” right now and is very worth your click and ten minutes of your time.

10 thoughts on “Be there or be square, watch “A Very Cubed World”

• Their creativity and dedication is really inspiring and they are gonna do amazing things!

• This article is very interesting! Good Job!

• Mairellys Santiago

What an interesting thing. Was in aware of the short film that was made. I will probably watch it very soon. It is incredible was the students can do!

• i am close friends with all these people involved in A very cubed world and to me it’s a whole bunch of goofs having a grand time

• Jaylene

I think it’s really cool to see students at CVHS producing films together. The students involved in the production of the short film are all talented actors/actresses, and Zac has a creative mind. I’m looking forward to watching it!

• Jakob Cahill

Nice article and A Very Cubed World is a cool short.

• Kumail Gowhari

This was cool! For someone that wants to get into film, I think I would love to do something like this on the school. The pacing of the short film felt great; it felt very cohesive from beginning to the end. Loved it!

• jocelynne

zac has a great future in the entertainment business and i cant wait to see what he comes up with next

• Riley

It was really cool to see Zac use his acting and directing skills and apply them to making his own short film!

• Zac Furber-Dobson

I appreciate the article on my film!