Up-and-coming Nebraska singer’s debut single releases

“Speak Up” is the debut single from 18-year-old up-and-coming Omaha, Nebraska songwriter Jocelyn. The uplifting and catchy song was written in Los Angeles with the help of producer/composer Denny White who has written tracks for The Fray, Tiësto, and Danish pop band Lukas Graham. Jocelyn’s song tells the story of a personal bullying experience and how the songwriter worked to overcome it. With its simple chorus, clever guitar work, energetic bass, and addictive beat, listeners can hear traces of Jocelyn’s major music influences in her song, from Shawn Mendes and Gabrielle Aplin, to Ben Howard and Ed Sheeran.

“Speak Up is about turning negativity into positive energy instead of letting the bullies drag you down,” says Jocelyn. “It’s about realizing that you are your own individual, so speak up and live by example.”

Jocelyn’s career initially took off when a video for her song, “Just Like Everybody Else,” went viral and brought her worldwide attention. She was soon performing on TV for Steve Harvey’s “Showcase” at the world-famous Apollo Theater and for Darius Rucker on an episode of “Celebrity Undercover Boss.”

In addition to collecting increased media attention in her hometown, Jocelyn has also become popular in her local music scene, recently winning Best Pop Artist and Artist of the Year at the Omaha Entertainment & Arts Awards. She is currently working on her first full-length album and will be releasing more music throughout the rest of the year.