Uncategorized

Olympian moves to dominate Internet

The CVHS newspaper has gone cyber, with archived issues dating back to 2004. Internet users will now be able to read and search for articles and photos by staff members of The Olympian.

The site uses color photos and is organized in a user-friendly way, with tabs for each section of the Olympian: news, sports, opinions, entertainment and features. In addition, the site includes polls for users to vote on certain school issues, as well as comment boxes for reader feedback.

According to Olympian advisor Matt Johanson, the online site will benefit journalism students and the campus community by expanding the newspaper’s content.

“The site gives us more room for stories and way more readers,” said Johanson. “The kids wanted it and it provides new skills for us.”

Editor-in-Chief Alicia Harger stated that a main reason why The Olympian decided to publish on the Internet was to join the online revolution occurring with news media. To Harger, online news is the main step to reach a mass audience.

“More and more people are starting to use the Internet to get their information, so more media outlets are going electronic,” she said. “It’s a wonderful place to get news and everyone should log on today.”

To attract more viewers, The Olympian is working towards linking its page with Facebook.  Readers can find some stories linked to the writers’ pages on Facebook.

The website can be found at http://www.cvhsolympian.com.