Editorial: Olympian opposes ID card detentions

Detentions have been issued to students without their ID cards when their classes go to check out books. Those students are first given warnings. If they forget their ID cards again, they are assigned detentions. Although some students find this fair, others disagree and think that it is too harsh. The majority of us at The Olympian are opposed to this new controversial rule.

We find this rule pointless and unnecessary. Teachers can simply send the students to the back of the line and check out their books after everybody who brought their ID card has already done so. They can say their ID numbers, check out their books, and be on their merry ways. Although this does take more time than simply scanning a card, it does not take that much longer.

People are also opposed to the new rule because of the short notice that students receive before going to the book room. Sometimes, students are not told that their class is going to the book room until the day that they actually do so, leaving students without their ID cards if they have been left at home.

Some people may point to the possibility that students may use another student’s ID number to check out a book and then not return it, resulting in the other student needing to pay fines. However, teachers can verify if that student is really the one with that number.

Those who support the rule also say that students need to carry their ID cards around because of safety reasons. This way, those who are students can be identified, and there wouldn’t be strange people walking around campus. However, students keep their ID cards in their backpacks and wallets. It is not possible to distinguish whether an individual is a CVHS student just by looking at him or her, regardless if that person is carrying an ID card.

People that are in favor of this new rule say that it is a good way to make sure that students are bringing their ID cards to school. By assigning detention as punishment, it pushes students to remember to follow the rules. However, those who are opposed argue that some kids won’t go back on their own time to get the books. They wouldn’t be able to keep up with the reading or do the homework assigned. This would not benefit them at all academically.

Although this rule was initiated out of good intentions, many students, including the majority of us here at The Olympian, disagree with it.