FeatureSports

Stirtz swings to success

CVHS’ varsity girls golf team is no stranger to success, placing third in this year’s West Alameda County Conference (WACC) League Championships with players continuing on to the North Coast Section (NCS) Championships. Varsity captain senior Shayley Stirtz, marking her last season of golf as a Trojan, expertly led her team on and off the course with her passion for the game shining through.

Stirtz’s golf journey initially began in eighth grade but was disrupted by the onset of Covid-19. However, drawing inspiration from her grandparents, she got back into the game. 

“My grandparents always wanted me to pick up the sport,” she shared. “Now it’s nice to be able to share that with them.”

Now, as her high school golf career concludes, Stirtz leaves behind an impressive legacy. Currently ranked first on her team and in the top 10 of the WACC league, she has three NCS games under her belt, three wins in the WACC first team all-league, and countless medalist titles for holding the best score in tournaments.

Stirtz reflects on one of her favorite memories golfing in NCS.

“When we went to NCS last year it was really fun to go with everyone. We all got to stay together at a hotel and bond as a team,” she recounted.

Last year’s varsity girls team competed in NCS division one at Foxtail Golf Course in Rohnert Park, and this year, Stirtz individually competed in NCS Division one at Tilden Park Golf Course in Berkeley. She placed eighth in the WACC league championships this year out of almost 50 players, qualifying for NCS division two where she placed in the top 18 and went on to advance to NCS division one.

“I was really proud of myself because I didn’t think I was going to make it,” Stirtz admitted. “It was a good experience and was still fun this year, even though I’m sad we all didn’t get to go this time.”

Looking back at her four years, Stirtz has a lot to be proud of, many memories to walk away with, and will be missed by her teammates.

“Shayley has helped shape my view of golf, seeing how focused she is but fun at the same time is a skill I would love to learn,” freshman varsity player Mikhaela Gabriela Macabeo said. “Since the day we met, she’s been very nice and an overall amazing friend, teammate, and golfer!”

More than anything, Stirtz wants to encourage all interested in golf to get involved and focus on having fun.

“I know it can be really frustrating and that’s because it’s a mental game too. Don’t get in your head, and practice a lot!” she advised.

The best place to practice, according to Stirtz? Metropolitan Golf Links, her favorite course, where the wide and flat fairways provide the perfect grounds for honing in on skills such as focusing on the game amidst the passing planes and roaring highway. 

“I’ve always shot well there,” Stirtz added with a smile.