SliderSports

Yellow Jackets sting Trojans, 54-37

The ball rapidly spiraled down the field as quarterback Matthew Cooper threw yet another touchdown pass to a newly brought up sophomore. Matthew Cooper later explains that for him and many others football is not just about playing the game but “getting to be part of a brotherhood.” On Sept. 22, the Trojans played a nail-biting game against the Berkeley Yellow Jackets.

“Playing with my brothers beside me [is the best part of the game],” stated Connor Cooper. Often referred to as a versatile player, Connor Cooper swerved left and right for six yards straight getting through Berkeley’s defense all the way to the end zone a couple minutes into the first quarter, bringing the score up 8-7 with Berkeley in the lead. Connor Cooper would rush 81 yards and get a touchdown, as well as nine tackles and an interception for a touchdown all in one night’s work.

As the second quarter concludes, the spirit squad and dance team alongside band and guard stretch and prepare to give it their all at their halftime performance. As the cheerleaders ran out onto the field the bleachers rumbled as the students and families cheered them on. Working through the not so new technical difficulties, they once more impress the crowd with their choreography and stunting. 

Band and guard take over the field, the ambiance suddenly changes from cheerful and playful to serious and dark. The drums echo through the stadium as flags fly up and down the air, the synchronized sounds coming from the various instruments leave everyone in awe.    

Our emotions scrambled as the players ran up and down the field, coming to a tie multiple times throughout the game. Towards the three quarter, the Yellow Jackets would take back the lead and later win the game, 54-37. 

“Hard work beats talent,” asserted Diego Mares. Although the Trojans lost, the team kept morale up with the help of all of their coaches.

“After a game like that we face a choice. We can either prepare for the next game, learn from our mistakes and truly work to improve or we can dwell on Friday and let it affect this week and the next upcoming game,” said head coach Denny Molzen.