HighlightsSports

Girls soccer honors senior players

On Feb. 1, the CVHS girls varsity soccer team went up against the Berkeley Yellow Jackets on their senior night. With it being their last home game, the senior players were excited yet mournful to be playing for the last time on their field. 

Before the game, a ceremony took place to recognize the six seniors on the team. As they walked through a path formed by their teammates, accompanied by their loved ones, they were gifted flowers and teddy bears.

Throughout the game, the Trojans hyped each other up and kept a positive attitude.

“I think especially this year, this season, this team is super motivated. There’s just a lot of trust between the players and staff,” said Coach Vanessa Amaral. 

Throughout the highs and lows of the game, you could feel the love and passion every person on the team had for the game. 

“I love the game because [it] becomes very competitive quickly. Playing the sport you love, with the people you love, is something you can’t trade for the world,” stated Taylor Hodges, a four-year varsity player and one of the team’s captains, in an honorary Instagram post. 

With a minute and 37 seconds left of the game, the Yellow Jackets were able to score a goal. The Trojans kept their head up high and gave it their all in the last few seconds, but sadly lost. Despite this, in a series of Instagram posts honoring the senior varsity players, Taylor Gibbs said to “never let the odds define your future.”