HighlightsSports

Trojans “float” past Pilots on Senior Night

The CVHS varsity boys basketball team sent their seniors off with a huge win against the Saint Joseph Notre Dame Pilots on Feb. 10. With a score of 80-60, the Pilots had no time to react. With a lead of 22 at the end of the first quarter, the Trojans were dribbling to the sound of family and friends cheering. 

The game commenced with a ceremony honoring the seniors on the team. The three seniors honored that night were Darius Jackson, Jonathan Lin, and Joaquin Preciado. Filled with smiles, gifts, families, and friends, the Trojans said goodbye to their seniors. 

“During the ceremony I was nervous, but excited because I had the Mexican flag on my shoulders to wave around,” Preciado said. “I was proud to represent my country as I was the only Mexican on the team and had lots of fun doing it in front of the big crowd. Posing with my other two seniors was a real full circle moment as I’ve known them all four years of high school.”

Following the ceremony was the start of the game. It was off to a good start as the seniors all played in the starting five that night. The Trojans won the tip off, and Jackson managed to get the first shot in the air. It didn’t just stop there. With a turnover, Lin came back and made another three. 

“The ceremony made me feel like a star. The spotlight lifted away all my pressure. I felt happy and I just wanted to have fun playing one last time. I felt so happy to finally make it to my senior night ceremony after four years and I was so happy to see my friends, family, and teachers come out to support me. They make it all worth it,” stated Lin. 

With four minutes left in the first quarter, the Trojans were up 17-4. 

“During the game, I felt like I was floating. Everything was going according to the game plan, shots were going in, the crowd was screaming the whole time,” noted Preciado. 

And he was right. The clock was ticking from five seconds to three, until Lin managed to get a buzzer-beater dunk ending the game perfectly. 

“We got the win which is the most important part in a dominating game,” said Preciado proudly.