Sports

Trojans triumph over Dragons

The girls varsity track and field team came in first place with 71 points against Bishop O’ Dowd (BOD) who trailed behind with 30 points leaving a large lead. The boys team secured 66 points while BOD left with 58 points. The results of this March 9 WACC League Meet held at CVHS left everyone with high hopes that their training is finally paying off. 

“I’m extremely proud of the strut that they’ve got this year. These kids are working really really hard. We’ve got a long way to go though. These people are doing all they can and it’s going very well. I’m excited to see how far this team can go and I’m proud of their accomplishments,” said track coach Dooney Jones.

Within the first few events of the meet, junior Naomi Sachs placed first in three varsity jumping events and even got a personal record in two of them. She won the triple jump, high jump, and the long jump and got a new personal record in the triple jump and high jump. 

“Placing first in these events was really exciting for me since I’ve been training so much and it was fun to see my hard-work finally paying off. This also motivated me to keep on working since now I know I’m heading in the right direction,” explained Sachs. 

Senior Nolan Slader won first place in the 110m hurdles as well as the 300m hurdles making sure his last season running is work well paid off and put to good use. 

“Since this is my last year on the team I’ve been training really hard and winning these events definitely helped my confidence and excited me for the rest of the season,” stated Slader.

The 4 x 400 relay is said to be one of the hardest and most challenging events to run. Sophomore Dawn Wakabayashi, junior Cameron Huynh, sophomore Delaney Rasmussen, and junior Mia Frautnik all ran this event together helping each other race to first place. This race left the audience on their toes watching our runners move from third place to first place then back down to third. Rasmussen started the last lap as the anchor in third place, pushing with every ounce of energy she had. She sprinted the last 100m finishing the race in first place by just 0.04 seconds.

4 thoughts on “Trojans triumph over Dragons

• Anderson

go trojans!

• Liam Lacer

its great seeing both the girls and boys doing amazing

• I am so proud of our CVHS Track and field team for the great win against O’Dowd. Everyday they practice hard after school and their training has paid off. Great win!

• Serjio C

I think it is really cool how castro valley was able to come back and win.