Trojans trounce Monarchs, win championship!

Jenna Sparks shoots toward the hoop. Picture by Halley Lin-Jones
Jenna Sparks shoots toward the hoop.
Picture by Halley Lin-Jones

The Trojans defeated Mt. Eden at WACC championships on Saturday Feb. 21 in Hayward, winning the girls varsity basketball league championship. The final score was 38-16.

Freshman Bailey Jones came out even stronger this game than the last, contributing an abundant 22 points of the team’s total 38.

“It was a championship game, so we started off slow, but we had to pick up the pace third quarter and come out and win,” said Jones.

Earlier the team defeated San Leandro High School in the WACC playoffs semifinals on Thursday Feb. 19, with a final score of 50-28.

“We’ve been playing hard and the good defense has been consistent, it has bailed us out of games like this,” said coach Jim Lemmon.

The winner was uncertain at the end of halftime, with a close 23-19 score.

After half time the Trojans quickly worked together and furthered their lead, making the score 35-23.

During the third quarter Jones and senior Ally Woo scored a combined 10 points.

“I think that we played well and it was great that we came back and extended the lead,” said Jones.

Sophomore player Giana Wright also scored 10 points in the game, with the help of several teammates.

“Since it’s playoff season San Leandro came out more hungry for the win, so it was a more competitive game, but by the second half we were more aggressive and were able to pull out a strong win,” said Wright.