Sports

Matadors break Trojans’ undefeated streak

The CVHS varsity girls soccer team suffered a dramatic defeat in the NCS playoff game against the Granada Matadors on Saturday Feb. 21.

The Trojans kicked off the first half and started out with a lot of back and forth in the midfield. They were playing with four defenders, four midfielders and two forwards on the field.

There were a few close calls when CVHS goalkeeper Jordan Burris had to come out of the goal to save the ball and other saves by strong defensive players. Granada also made some good saves by their goalkeeper, but not good enough for the next shot.

With four minutes left in the first half, Castro Valley’s Miranda Nild crossed to forward Jasmine Edwards who shot the ball in the upper left corner of Granada’s goal, making it in the net. The Trojans ended the first half in the lead, 1-0.

The second half started off with the Matadors kicking off the ball. With only two minutes in, Nild once again crossed back to Edwards in the center who, with one touch, scored another goal for the Trojans in the upper right corner.

Five minutes in the second half, Granada obtained a corner kick from the left. Matador Lauren Sandy took the kick and skillfully bent it into Castro Valley’s goal, past all of the Trojans’ defenders and goalie. With a score of now 2-1, the Trojans were still optimistic that they would take the win.

There were 23 minutes left of the game when it became tied. There was a through ball to Sandy who it took down the field, the quick counterattack putting Castro Valley’s defense on its heels. Sandy was able to put the ball past the goalie on the left, making the game a tie.

Following the tied goal, Trojan goalie Burris skillfully saved another goal during a free kick.
With 15 minutes left in the game there was another corner kick for Granada from the left. The Matadors scored and then the Trojans were then behind, 3-2.

Castro Valley spectators were in an uproar pointing out questionable calls by the referee. CVHS fans were so enthusiastic that the Castro Valley coach was given a yellow card for not being able to control the fans.

The final goal was then scored with eight minutes left of the game. Opposing players went for the ball when a Granada player took a questionable fall. The referee gave the Matadors a penalty kick to the anger of the Trojans’ fans.

A Matador shot to the left, as Burris made an almost impossible dive to try to stop it, but to no avail.

The match ended with Granada possessing the ball in the corner until time ran out.

Although the CVHS girls soccer team was unable to make it to the next round of the NCS playoffs, the girls were undefeated every game before this one, making it an impressive, successful season.