Trojans devour the Rebels

The CVHS varsity boys basketball team battled San Lorenzo and came out with a first league win on Friday, Jan. 11, the final score leaving the Trojans with 65 and the Rebels with 53.

Though the Trojans have had a rocky start in WACC league, this game shined a new light on the team.

In the first quarter the Trojans came out with immense energy, making the first 15 points uncontested.  Castro Valley ended the quarter by outscoring San Lorenzo 21-5.

In the second quarter, junior Nick Brooks made two impressive three-point shots back to back.  The Rebels, trying everything in their power to contain the Trojans’ offense, was not able to stop junior Jalen McFerren from scoring 12 points in the first half of the game.

By the end of the third quarter Trojans were up 50-32.  With just one quarter left in the game San Lorenzo made a late fourth quarter run, pulling within ten points. Fortunately for the Trojans, the Rebels could not take the game.  With only 4:20 left on the clock, senior Jamoni Barber made a shot-clock buzzer beater to make the final score of the game 65-53.

McFerren had a high score of 17 points and Barber ended the game with 15 points.  Junior Andrew Garcia finished with ten points and 11 rebounds. Junior Nate Moore and Brooks had six points and seniors Deveion McClain-Hall had five points, Emmanuel Aina had four points and Rhaun Harris had two points.