OpinionVideo

Digitalizing schools has both pros and cons

Jessica Truong dictates her opinion story.

When the word “school” is mentioned, the image of pencils, textbooks, and lined paper may pop into your head. However, Chromebooks and Google Classroom have recently taken over.

Online learning during the pandemic has inspired many CVHS teachers to transfer parts of their curriculum online. Even before the pandemic, many classes had digital versions of their textbooks for students to use. Students also often use other resources such as books and reading materials that have been available online. “Paperless” learning is a method that some teachers have even introduced to their classes.

There are many benefits to digitalizing school resources; students are able to access them from their devices, eliminating the burden of heavy textbooks. Often, online textbooks provide exclusive online features such as in-depth explanations or videos. 

The question is if we should continue this push towards digital learning. Should we get rid of physical textbooks completely?

Since Chromebooks were provided to students, most should be able to access online learning resources, but having school work exclusively online could be unfair to some. The “Digital Divide” is an ongoing issue of the increasing gap between those who benefit and those who are disadvantaged due to the digital revolution. Reports estimate that around 9 million U.S. students have insufficient access to the internet. If online learning continues to grow, there should also be an equal focus on supporting students with their digital needs.

Learning style is another important factor in this discussion. Those who read from their devices may absorb less information than those who read from physical paper copies. For some students this might be false, it is often a matter of personal preference. One student may prefer to use only physical materials, while another may prefer digital materials. 

Physical learning resources should not be eliminated completely as to give students a chance to choose their preferable method of learning. The increase of technology in education comes with a plethora of advantages, and continuing this innovation is key to finding new methods of teaching. However, students should have the opportunity to make a choice in their education. 

6 thoughts on “Digitalizing schools has both pros and cons

• Owen Humphrey

Digital textbooks are much more convenient for me but a physical copy should always be an option for students.

• Joshua Tong

The article did a great job of explaining the pros and cons of digitalizing schools. Allowing schools to become more digitalizing would definitely help during covid especially if a student is out sick. The student can therefore do their work at home without missing any vital information that was taught in class. There are many conveniences of digital learning which were very well highlighted in this article. I share the same point of view when it comes to this topic as the choice should ultimately be left to the students to decide as sometimes a physical copy of the work can be easier.

• I like how you highlighted both the pros and cons of online learning. I completely agree with what you said about internet access creating an unfair gap between those who have it and don’t. I remember being online in school, not having fast wifi made me unable to do most of my work. I agree, if we start using online resources more we should focus on supporting kids with digital needs.

• AJ Gudino

I think you did a great job highlighting both the pros and cons of digital work and physical work. I did not even think of the fact that many students may not have sufficient internet access and that could give them a disadvantage if everything were to move to a digital format. But I do like the convenience of having textbooks online and not always having to take a heavy backpack around but instead just your chromebook. I definitely see both sides and I loved how you pointed out pros and cons for each side.

• Corinne Davidson

there are many pros and cons to online school and I think this shows all of them very well :))

• Ada Chen

This is really well written and sees both sides!