Why volunteering is important

I experienced one of the best feelings in the world at Glide Memorial Church about a year ago. Something about waking up at the crack of dawn to serve hot breakfasts to those who have been out in the cold, San Francisco weather all night made me feel so incredibly inspired to volunteer even more.  

So, why volunteer? Every minute, hour, or day devoted to serving those in need can ultimately build a stronger community. Even with my busy schedule, I always set time aside to volunteer whether it’s with school clubs like Interact or Red Cross, or with the Leadership class. I’m even able to do what I love and relieve stress from school while benefitting the community.

Recently, Hurricane Harvey hit parts of Texas which resulted in many displaced families, pets, and destroyed homes. Situations were very strenuous and tough on everyone in the devastated areas but people with open arms reached out to provide shelter and care for the time being. Much more help is still needed and unfortunately,  volunteers from big organizations like the Red Cross are unable to send as many helpers down because of the ongoing fires in other states and Hurricane Irma. It’s possible that having a shortage of volunteers won’t be a problem in future because I believe that if we build our purpose for volunteering in high school or in the early stages of our life, we can have one in hand for the future.

Yes, it’s true that most high schoolers volunteer for the benefit of college applications but there’s definitely more to it. I encourage you to choose events that genuinely interest you and possibly going with a group of friends will make it even more enjoyable. If you’re already out there endlessly serving the community, I hope you know how wonderful that experience is. And if it’s just the beginning of your volunteering journey, I encourage you to take advantages of the opportunities available because help is always needed in your community.

Unfortunately, there are disastrous situations in which volunteers are unable to help out with disaster relief directly at the area impacted. But donating cash to charities that specialize in providing those hit with disasters or even non-perishable food items can go a long way.

When we come together as a team, our efforts become stronger and the impact is greater.

4 thoughts on “Why volunteering is important

• I completely agree that volunteering should not only be done so that you seem like a good person on your college applications. You should want to feel that sense of accomplishment that you get from helping others. Volunteering can also help you to meet new people and make friends. Hopefully after reading this piece, more CVHS students will want to volunteer.

• Manny Garcia

This is so true! As a student body we should all come together to help improve our community and spread positivity to others. It shouldn’t just be for college but for something you truly believe in and want to see get better.

• Jasmine Tam

I agree with what was stated in this opinion piece. I feel that people should volunteer for community service and join clubs to help out the community. Even doing the littlest thing to help out will help someone out there. So I also encourage volunteering and that it is also very important to do so.

• Tea Otani

I completely agree! Volunteer work is heart warming and more people should find ways to be involved in their communities. I love working events like glide memorial or medical awareness walks. Coming together with friends and strangers to do something good for others is a priceless feeling.