Seniors: embrace change, don’t fear it

We seniors, with only two months left of high school, are deciding what the next step in our futures will be, and this question sits at the back of my mind through the chaos of finishing senior year: what will happen to our friendships as high school comes to an end and everyone goes their separate ways?

Throughout our four years in high school, we have built many strong friendships that will continue to grow after high school.

I have been fortunate enough to have met my best friend, Martin, in high school. Since our freshman year, we have been inseparable. Not only does he understand me better than anyone else, but he also allows me to be my true self without the fear of being judged. I am beyond thankful for being blessed with such an amazing friend who has always and will continue to be by my side no matter what challenges the next years of our lives will bring.

As I think of all the memories we have shared together, I can truly say that I am dreading the moment when I have to leave his comfort and start a new journey in college without him. I know it will not be the last time I see him, but it will be the longest we will go without seeing and talking to each other.

However, I have realized that although he will always be my best friend, college will be a place to meet new people and experience new things. In meeting new people, there will be new opportunities and personalities to adjust to. It will be a time to meet more people with the same interests as me. The key is to not fear change, but embrace it. College is a time to allow new doors to open up and fully enjoy each experience.

As we finish off our senior year and part our separate ways, remember to enjoy the company of your beloved friends while you still can. Don’t forget to hold on to those special friendships but also make room for the new ones headed your way.  

One thought on “Seniors: embrace change, don’t fear it

• Wonderful article! Great job America.