Self driving cars will set us back as human beings

We, as human beings, have evolved a lot over time and our most powerful innovations have been in technology. It almost feels like it has taken over a lot of people’s lives by keeping them connected instead of set free.

There have been rumors of Google and Apple producing self-driving cars which will be available to the public in a couple years. I think that’s a horrible idea that will only set us back as human beings. Every day, with new technology, we are losing more and more skills due to technology “helping” a little too much.

For example, think about the auto-correct feature on smart phones. People don’t even know how to type words that are commonly used in our daily life. If self-driving cars become a reality, we would lose essential motor skills to operate a vehicle. Ultimately, we become completely dependent on technology. We need to know where to draw the line and be aware of the advantages and disadvantages.

You won’t get to experience the joy of driving anymore, you will just be sitting and staring out the window or into some television built in the car. It might be safer and more efficient, but think about how many people would actually be able to afford something of that cost and how many people actually enjoy driving for fun.