Teenage depression a debilitating disease

DSC_0118The World Health Organization predicts that depression will be the second most debilitating disease, behind heart disease, by 2020.  In a survey of high school students, the National Youth Violence Prevention Resource Center found that almost one in five teens had considered suicide, about one in six teens had made plans for suicide, and more than one in twelve teens had attempted suicide.  Teenage depression has always been a fragile subject, but now that it is on the rise, we need to start touching base with it.

More often than not, the term “teenage depression” is merely brushed aside and labeled as just another hormonal issue.  When parents and others you look up to for support and guidance ignore your pleas and dismiss your potential situation, it just makes everything worse.  The teenage years are arguably the most delicate, and everything teens are feeling during this period is amplified due to hormones, making everything seem even more terrible than it really is.

Even if teens are not suffering from exactly what science considers “depression,” they are still suffering and their feelings are still very real and valid.  Main factors that lead to depression among teens are those combined feelings of confusion, worthlessness, and failure.  If you take the time to listen to what they are feeling and help them find a solution, that already helps rid of some of these feelings.  If you don’t know what to say or how to help, just the action of listening and being there could save a life.

All the time you hear stories of teenage suicide and quotes by their loved ones, friends, and teachers talking about how they saw the signs and ignored them.  People ignore these signs because, again they assume it’s just another over-dramatic, whiny teenage complaint about life being unfair, and sometimes this is the case. The key is noticing the signs and knowing when it is something more than normal.

If people seem to have a negative personality, outlook on life and attitude, it may be some signs of depression.  If even once, they mention thoughts of suicide or some form of self-harm, address this and reach out to them immediately.

Next time you see a possible depression related tweet, Facebook status, tumblr post, or even someone crying in the bathroom at school, don’t ignore it.  Instead investigate the situation further and make sure everything is okay.  Even if you don’t want to personally get involved you can still tell a teacher, counselor, or other adult who may be able to help.

If you or someone you know is struggling with depression and has thoughts of suicide you can call 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433) to talk to someone.  Remember, suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.