“Just Dance” taught me not to misuse the word “retarded”

I have always abhorred the misuse of the word “retarded.” What I despise even more is that I’m surrounded by several peers who use this word frequently to describe other individuals, situations, or their emotions, and all I can think of is how wrong it is that this word is so tolerated by our generation and our society.

On May 12, I spent my Saturday night along with CVHS Leadership and the special need classes from surrounding school districts. It was, without a doubt, the best way I have ever spent one of my weekends. This special needs’ formal, also known as “Just Dance,” was organized by our two community service commissioners, Emma Hancock and Emma Woidtke.

When first asked to help out with the event, I was excited for a fun night on the dance floor, but never had I expected to walk away feeling as inspired as I did. I met intelligent, amazing, and fun individuals. Among them was a girl named Emily.

Emily immediately caught my attention as she grabbed my hand and asked me to dance with her. I was caught off guard at first, but it didn’t take long until we were singing at the top of our lungs, dancing crazily, and simply enjoying the company of those around us. At one point, she turned to me and thanked me for hanging out with her for the night. I smiled and thanked her in return for helping to create a life-changing experience.

Just the next day, a friend of mine said she felt the situation was “extremely retarded.” I shuddered at the use of the word and the only thing I could think of was innocent, beautiful Emily and the other outstanding disabled students I met. I recognized that they deserve much better than to have that word thrown around and used as an insult.

Mental retardation is a disability—and I cannot understand how “retarded” even began to be a substitute for “stupidity.” When misusing this word, you’re implying that people who suffer from this disability are worthless, which isn’t the case whatsoever.
Emily is patient and kind and she has wonderful dreams and aspirations. She has hobbies, including dancing and writing. Her goal, at this point, is just to be successful. Emily, who is an extremely personable and social person, enjoys any time that she has around her family and friends. Based on these facts alone, you can conclude that she’s just like you and me. Despite this, however, people still point out the one difference they notice immediately about Emily, and degrade her for it.

We know by now that racial slurs should never be used to describe anyone. Yet “retarded” remains socially accepted, and few people acknowledge just how disrespectful it truly is.
So as high school students, as pre-adults, and as human beings, we need to recognize that our words have immense power. They can be used to destroy, insult, and pain those around us. It’s time to reevaluate our choice of words and to end the wrongful use of the “r-word” completely.