Boys golf team places second at HAAL

The Trojan boys golf team recently gave it their all in the HAAL league championship and successfully placed second. The league championship included several surrounding schools such as Moreau Catholic, San Leandro, and Bishop O’Dowd.

Moreau Catholic, undefeated this year in league, placed first in HAAL. One of the Mariners’ top players is among the top ten junior golf players in the state. Castro Valley trailed behind Moreau by 51 points with a total score of 421. Third place went to San Leandro High’s 426, followed by O’Dowd’s score of 430.

The Trojans placed first in the league championship for the past few years, and while the boys team did not place first this season, they fought a great battle.

Coach Ed Blom was content with the progress his team has made. Although the team lost a few key players earlier this season, and Blom was forced to look towards the freshmen and sophomores of the team, a few notable underclassmen have done nothing but impress others with their dedication and diligence.

“We’ve had some adversity throughout the league,” Blom said. “I know that we struggled because we lost a few key guys but I’m really pleased that the kids did so well.”

“Of course second place is really cool—but first would have been better!” said freshman Brian Travis. He, fellow freshman Adam Blum, and sophomore Brian Periquet were among the outstanding underclassmen who have done well throughout the season.