We need our teachers

We all grew up with teachers by our sides. I remember the teachers that I loved, and I also remembered those that I hated. But even the teachers that I have hatred for have left some fond memories that I will never forget. I remember those who scolded me for talking without raising my hand, and those who praised me with a star sticker when I answered a question correctly.

But sometimes one of my teachers received a pink slip and then he/she didn’t come back to teach the following year. To know that the person who taught me simple things, like my math skills, and not as simple things, like lifelong lessons, has to leave my school is depressing.

Nobody likes it when teachers have to leave, but the state says that it is low on money, so it is cutting the school’s budget. Not only is the state cutting all the fun classes, but it is also cutting student access to teachers.

When teachers get laid off, new ones don’t replace them. By having fewer teachers, there would be a bigger ratio of students to each teacher, which means there would be bigger class sizes. This leads students to have less teacher attention; some students will take advantage of that. Those kinds of students would cause the rest of the class to not learn to the best of its potential ability.

Having more teachers means having more variety in teaching styles. This will help the kids find a learning style that best suits them. For example, one teacher might like teaching using hands-on teaching methods, while other teachers might like the style of taking notes. With teachers getting laid off, there will be fewer teaching methods. This will cause kids to not have the chance to learn new ways to solve a problem.

Therefore, people shouldn’t lay off teachers. Not only are they laying off teachers, but they are preventing opportunities for kids to make lifelong memories that they will never forget.

But then, you probably think that you can’t do anything to help these teachers. Think again. Many people are helping by showing how much they appreciate their teachers. For example, on March 1, there were many people supporting teachers by going to a rally at the high school. The rally’s purpose was to get the state to not cut the school’s budget. Not only were there a lot of people at the rally, but the cars passing by showed lots of support by honking their horns and making lots of noise.

So maybe if everyone starts to show appreciation towards their teachers, these teachers won’t get laid off. We will never know unless we try.