Yay or Nay? New laptops face mixed reviews

In exchange for your old Chromebook and charger, CVUSD Technology is providing CVHS students with a Windows PC laptop. By the 2024 to 2025 school year, the technology department anticipates the distribution of approximately 3,000 laptops. These new devices, compact, light, and innovative, have uprooted numerous complaints regarding restrictions and decreased quality.

According to CVUSD Director of Technology Greg Ko, the new laptops are intended to help students “build and expand upon computing skills towards full digital literacy.” He added, “These new devices represent the Technology Department’s actions to support the fulfillment of CVUSD’s strategic educational objectives for students’ goals today and their future.”

However, several CVHS students found that despite the new technologies and advancements there still remained major drawbacks. 

“It feels unnecessary to give new devices out with compromised quality,” sophomore Annice Ma stated. 

The new Windows device may act as a potential downgrade from the old Chromebook as there is the persistent sluggishness that follows it. Slow boot-up time, unresponsive applications, and persistent lag may make online assignments more difficult and undermine productivity. 

Students may find it frustrating to fall behind in classes that require a digital device just because the new laptop doesn’t power on in time or begin to lag.

Additionally, these new Windows PC laptops are of a more minuscule size compared to the Chromebooks previously handed out. 

While the small size is advantageous for some as they are lighter and easier to transport, it can be less convenient for those with impaired vision.

However, amidst these frustrations lies the plus side of access to more applications, allowing students to immediately find themselves more computer literate, being more proficient in future business settings. 

The availability of the Microsoft store has allowed students to explore applications that weren’t previously available. Not to mention, the new Windows devices can run on fully functional Windows 11, satisfying even more classroom requirements and providing the intended exposure and skills mentioned prior.

Yet, even this pro has its limitations: “I can’t get the apps I need for my CTE-type classes on the new laptops because of the admin password,” sophomore Tai Nguyen said.

Like every other device, it’s inevitable the new Windows PC laptop carries both pros and cons. Teachers have also complained the new devices are incompatible with Google form testing and while there may be harsh restrictions, the technology department implemented a device management software program and content filtering to ensure students don’t deter from their learning. 

Furthermore, while the pricing between the current Chromebooks and new Windows devices are similar, the Windows devices are a bit pricier as they offer a wider and more robust computing experience. Fortunately, the devices were made possible through grant funding with no cost to the district. 

“We need students to use their devices responsibly and with care,” Ko stated. “Treat it like your phone!”

4 thoughts on “Yay or Nay? New laptops face mixed reviews

• I believe that it is important to use Windows as Chrome isnt used as often. I just hope that the windows devices take less time and load faster.

• Anonymous

The new windows computers can be easily reset an installed with a new install of windows, doing the makes them much faster because there is no bloatware or security settings. It also has the benifit of removing any admin password or control, giving the ability to install any needed applications.

• Though the new laptops may have slow boot times and lag, I believe they provide more online freedom and access to sources. I think the small size is a pro for many people and think this move to Windows devices is a good thing.

• Nico Nappi

I think once all of the issues are worked out, these new laptops would be a great tool for CVHS students.