CommunityNewsOur BestSlider

War touches Trojans’ families: “Hope is on our side”

Since Russia invaded Ukraine on Feb. 24, Laryssa Sadoway hasn’t heard from her family in the village of Myrne, doesn’t know where they are or even if they are safe. 

“They haven’t picked up the phone so we think they might have fled,” said Sadoway, CVHS choir teacher and Ukrainian American. 

Russia’s invasion of Ukraine engendered a devastating humanitarian crisis that extends more than 6,000 miles to Castro Valley. CVHS community members are anguished and concerned for the safety of their friends and family abroad. 

Sadoway described how her family lives in a “low tech part of the country” near the city of Ternopil where they lack internet or voicemail, creating an environment where communication between them is barren. 

Similar stories follow other Ukrainians who are seeking refuge and ways to stay connected with their loved ones in the U.S.

In the weeks since the attack began, 2.8 million refugees have fled the country as the eastern and southern parts become more and more consumed by Russia.

Russia has bombed major cities such as Ukraine’s capital Kyiv and has even targeted Ukrainian citizens, blowing up civilian homes, hospitals, and schools. 

Moreover, Ukrainian and Russian journalists are under threat, facing up to 15 years in prison or even assasination for calling out Russian President Vladimir Putin and reporting the facts of the war – and for simply calling it a “war” or an “invasion” rather than a “conflict.”

“Putin can just go to hell. This is just insane of him,” said Ukrainian American and CVHS freshman Dima Serebrenyy. “Me and my family, we’re all from the south side of Ukraine in a small village a few miles off the small city of Nikolaev. I was born and raised there in the first few years of my life as well.”

While his family does have access to the internet, they too have limited communication, spotty wifi and electricity. “We stopped all video calls and we try to keep our actual messages on the phone short so they’re not on the phone as often. We want to keep them protected,” Serebrenyy said.

Both he and Sadoway have families in Ukraine with the desire to find a safer place to stay.

“My grandparents have said that they’re hiding in the hallways and can’t really escape, but that’s all they can do with the gunfire that’s just right outside,” Serebrenyy said.

Even if they could escape to their bunker, Serebrenyy’s great grandma’s age makes it difficult for her to even walk.

Similarly, Sadoway’s family (from her father’s side) in the city of Kyiv had the opportunity to flee to a place without electricity but away from the violence. However, she too has older family members and, as she pointed out, “it just seemed unsafe for someone in their 80s to go to a shack.”

Max Boychuk, Ukrainian American and CVHS freshman, described how men from his village are being drafted into the main conflict. Boychuk’s family comes from the village of Rosokhach, near the city of Chortkiv, on the western side of Ukraine and close to Poland, a NATO country. Boychuk is the first in his family to be born in America. All his relatives were born in that village.

Men from Rosokhach are being drawn into the main conflict and are “patrolling the surrounding area since there are multiple military bases around the village and spotted all around the country of Ukraine,” Boychuk said. 

“Ukraine is doing the right thing to keep fighting,” he continued. “They have limited resources on what to do. Russia has better chances of winning but the Ukrainian people are very determined; they won’t crack and let them win.”

CVHS students who have family in Russia share a similar belief that this war has dragged in innocent lives. 

“It’s not the Russian people at war; it’s a political war,” said Anna Teplov, Russian American and CVHS junior. “It’s not just people in Ukraine who don’t want this. It’s Russia too.”

Teplov’s family is from Kyrgyzstan in the former Soviet Union. Her roots, however, extend to Ukraine. 

“A lot of people think these are two completely different people,” she said. “In reality, we have very similar cultures. We’re both part of the Slavic ethnic group and we both originated from the same place. Right now it’s really hard to find a Russian person who has zero connections to Ukraine.”

“My grandmother – she’s half Ukrainian. I’ve got Ukrainian blood in me,” she continued. “I don’t see Ukrainains as enemies. I put them together because they are both my people.”

Peter Shlychkov, a Russian American and CVHS junior who has family in Moscow, worries about the risk of this war turning global. “Ukraine’s response is completely justified,” he said. In terms of American involvement, Shlychkov asserts that the U.S. “can’t really escalate it any further or we could risk war between two major superpowers.” The Ukrainians, though, “have a right to defend their homeland – everyone has the right to do that.” 

Serebrenyy noted how a Ukrainian fighter pilot nicknamed the “Ghost of Kyiv,” rumored to have shot down six Russian jets, illustrates how “hope is on our side.”

This circulating story has provided hope to a desperate and beleaguered Ukrainian resistance that’s been fighting for the life of their country.

Still, Serebrenyy believes it is imperative that countries help Ukraine beyond the current actions taken by countries like the U.S.

“Sanctions and stifling all flow of Russian oil: good. But nowhere near enough… America and the rest of the world need to step in. This can get way worse from here,” he vocalized.

Similarly, freshman Arthur Tatarkhanov, whose uncles, aunts, grandparents, cousins live in Russia, believes that Ukraine needs military and financial support from the U.S., but points out how there is “definitely a conflict about whether or not they [NATO] should go in.” 

Boychuk shared his thoughts. “The U.S. has been sending humanitarian aid and putting sanctions on Russia, but they can’t send troops,” he explained. “That would start WWIII.”

Teplov agrees. “Getting all these countries mixed into this conflict would just create even more disasters and we want to avoid as many people from getting hurt,” she advised. “So donate. Donate to organizations that provide direct resources. Just pray.”

Sadoway mentioned, however, that a challenge people have with support is wondering if the money is getting in the hands of people who need it most.

“I don’t know what’s best at this point,” she confessed. “What does seem to be clear is how fiercely loyal the Ukrainians are to their home country after all that they’ve been through and the stories they’ve heard through generations.”

“There’s a fearlessness to the people,” she continued, “that just seems unparalleled – that they are willing to just stand in front of a tank and say ‘take me, this is where I live.’”

8 thoughts on “War touches Trojans’ families: “Hope is on our side”

• anonymous

I think whats happening in Ukraine is horrible right now and I hope the families of these students are safe.

• Jennifer Mi

I admire these Trojans’ strength and resilience through this war. I like what Anna Teplov stated about Ukrainians and Russians: “We have very similar cultures. We’re both part of the Slavic ethnic group and we both originated from the same place. … they are both my people.” Teplov’s love and caring is very inspiring. And in the end, we are all part of the human race.

• Zachary Simonton

I think that Vladimir Putin should die himself in the form of capital punishment once we get him convicted. I think that Putin should be charged with capital war crimes (when I say capital, I mean war crimes that are punishable by the death penalty), and I think that Putin is one of the FEW people who it is truly worth giving the death penalty. Putin is nothing but a serial murderer who should NEVER see the outside of a prison again. I think that they NEED to prosecute him AS SOON AS POSSIBLE AND convicted.
    Putin deserves NOTHING less than LIFE WITHOUT PAROLE, and he should be given one of these 2 punishments:
    1. Life in prison without the possibility of parole (put Putin in prison for the rest of his natural life)
    2. The Death Penalty (send Putin to death row and execute him)

Putin should NEVER be free again.

• courtney bosco

i know a few of the people mentioned in this story, and it is heartbreaking what is happening in ukraine. i hope it doesn’t pit students against each other, and all of the students seem to feel like Putin is in the wrong. everyone wants their family to be safe, and it is horrible that so many people are feeling the reverberating effects from it.

• John Wang

I think this whole event is very surreal. The first thing that really stood out to me was the fact that 2.8 million refugees have fled from Ukraine. I looked online and the Syrian refugee crisis also had millions of refugees flee. I remember in the news back then about how bad the crisis had gotten and how many middle eastern refugees were flooding into europe. In addition, seeing students and people all around the world be impacted by the war really shows the magnitude of the war, that so many people would be impacted by it, directly or indirectly. It is also crazy to hear about some peoples’ family members talking about battles and about being drafted. All of this I never expected to happen in what seemed to be a developed country like Ukraine. It really shows how the line between a war-torn area and the modern world is really thin and can be crossed at any time. It really makes me feel empathy to all victims of the wars by the U.S.A. in the past (the war against “terror”).

• Oliver SImon

Our large school means an incredibly diverse community. A community of students that I am glad are willing to tell their stories. What is happening in Ukraine is truly terrible, it is a war that nearly the entire world just does not want. Im sure we all wish we could do more, that NATO could just come in and interfere. As we have seen however, tensions are extremely high. NATO can’t even shut down Ukrainien airspace, much less provide direct support. It would seem we are still a ways away from the end of this conflict. I put my hopes in both the Ukrainien people to defend their county bravely as well as the people of Russia who have the ability to stand up against their oppresive government.

• Hope Leong

It’s so incredible how much these communities are being affected despite being thousands of miles away. With the already turbulent times we have been facing as an entire society, having to worry about if your family, friends, and other loved ones are alive is something that no one should have to worry about. Along with supporting organizations that are sending help and resources to people within Ukraine and those who have fled to other countries, I hope that at the very least we can learn from and support those who have been impacted and are struggling. Being divided is the last thing it feels that anyone should be doing right now but unfortunately tensions continue to be high and the danger does not seem to have lessened. However, I also am optimistic that we can all get through this and even grow as a community in order to prevent putting people in such positions in the future.

• Rachel Raskin

I hope that everyone’s families stay safe through this horrible time. Being both half Russian and Ukrainian, this war has been a very tragic and sad one to follow. I hope to one day visit the beautiful country of Ukraine to see where my mother and her family had lived and grown up, but I do not think that can happen anymore as I do not even know if the town where they lived will still exist by then. What Putin started is just horrendous and I only hope that his power is somehow stopped.