Pardon the Dust, Classrooms to Move Over Break

Any CVHS student can attest to the loud machinery and dusty air around the 200 hallway this school year. As students return from winter break, the construction will move on to the 300 hallway. 

The completion of the 200 hall is set to finish on Dec. 17, and a big move will be made during the two week break. Teachers who have temporarily placed in the F-wing will be able to return to their freshly renovated 200 hall classrooms on Dec. 20. 

Teachers in 300 hall will move to the F-wing from Dec. 28-29. This means that by the time students return from winter break, those with classes in the 300 hallway or the F-wing will find their classrooms relocated. 

The $123 million bond was voted for by Castro Valley voters in 2016 to support CVUSD facilities management. As a part of the Measure G Bond Program, parts of CVHS have been under construction for some time. Renovation in the stadium, Wellness Center, and the 100, 400, 500 hallways have been funded by the Measure G bond.  

Some in the 300 hallway are finding trouble with moving their classrooms halfway through the year, especially during the end of the first semester. 

“I should be focused on my kids and finals, not this,” said AP Art History teacher Jo Sutton. “I would rather be using my time to focus on my kids and the curriculum.” 

On the other hand, teachers who get to return to their 200 hallway classrooms can’t wait to be back.

“I’m excited to see how the renovation went and what my classroom looks like now. My classroom feels like home. I’ve been teaching for 18 years, so I’m excited to get back in my home, but I’m stressed out because I have to pack and get ready for finals,” said English teacher Elisa Frozena.

Students also have opinions on this topic regarding the efficiency of the new change. 

“I think it sucks for people who have lockers in 300 because there are people in my class who have lockers in 300, so instead they have to walk farther to wherever their new locker is,” stated senior Elizabeth Villaverde. 

Although some have found struggles with the moving process such as the inconvenient timing and misplaced boxes, some have found help throughout the process.

“The tech crew has been very supportive through everything,” said Sutton.

Construction projects will be a long term endeavor at CVHS, and looking at the Measure G budget and appropriations, renovating the 600 hallway is next. These projects will hopefully show beneficial results in creating a more welcoming campus for all students to thrive in.