Pre-Nursing class aids in earthquake drill

Students from Pre-Nursing classes had a chance to practice their first aid skills during the earthquake drill on Thursday, Oct. 27.The Pre-Nursing program had been getting students ready prior to the event.

“We did a lot of practice drills,” commented senior Rebekah Wright. “We learned different techniques on how to deal with these situations.”

The purpose of the drill was to prepare Pre-Nursing students to carry out their responsibilities of providing first aid in the event of a real earthquake.

When asked about how she felt about the responsibility, Wright commented: “It’s kind of nerve-wracking, but it’s what I want to do, so it’s exciting, too.”

Pre-Nursing students practiced providing medical care to student volunteers pretending to be injured.

Senior Kaitlyn Goode participated in the drill by feigning a panic attack.

“It’s kind of weird just sitting there for so long,” said Goode.

Goode was unhappy with the lack of efficiency during the drill, saying, “It took us about ten to 15 minutes to find our way here. A bunch of teachers had no idea where the first aid center was. It would definitely be important to know if there was a real earthquake.”

Goode also acknowledged that the confusion showed the importance of having the drill to begin with, stating, “It’s to make sure people know what to do.”