Parents practice earthquake drill at CVHS

CVHS hosted an earthquake drill on Oct. 26 to prepare students and staff for a real earthquake. During the time, students were practicing ducking, covering, and walking calmly out of the classrooms while parents were practicing the new system created specifically for them so that there won’t be chaos between the parents and staff in the future.

According to some parents who volunteered to be in this practice drill, if this system isn’t intact, parents would arrive immediately after receiving a text or call from their child, and grab their kids off campus, leaving teachers frantic because of missing and possibly injured students.

In this drill, parents were to meet at the ticket booth right next to the big stadium gates and await staff to direct them. Upon the arrival of a staff member, the process of checking their children out would begin by lining up as calmly and patiently as possible with their IDs ready.  Then staff would find and release the student that the parent requested.

During the drill, parent volunteers arrived at the gates, one of the parents, Wendi Bushchry, said, “were told to go to the office but didn’t find anyone there.” Furthermore, she commented on how “there weren’t any signs to indicate where they should go.”

Jesse Woodward gave a possible scenario as to what parents would do: “Students would probably meet their parents on a place they agreed on without their teachers’ consent.”

A solution to this problem, according to some parents, is that parents should meet their children at the gates so that the staff wouldn’t have to find the student and make the checking out process faster.