Students disappointed by homecoming themes, call for revote

Students are angry this year over the themes that were picked for their class to represent during homecoming. Both the sophomore and senior classes are protesting against their themes, Wall-E and Up.

Sophomore students had three petitions going around to change the theme. Each petition had the students’ names, the themes they wanted, and a section for comments.

“We felt like we weren’t represented at the meeting,” said Angelina Parra, one of the students who made a petition. “The representatives need to realize we have a say also.” The petition had about 50 signatures on it. She said that all the sophomores wanted was a revote.

The problem, however, was that each petition, and almost every name, requested a different Pixar movie.

At the homecoming class meeting for sophomores Wall-E was not a top choice. Sophomores’ top choices were Up and Toy Story.

“Basically, we made an executive decision for the majority of the crowd,” sophomore class president Sarah Lee explained.
After Up was chosen by the seniors the sophomore officers decided not to pick Toy Story, because the movie seemed too diverse and had too many sub-themes.

“[The meeting] wasn’t a vote, it was a survey,” said Lee. She and her fellow officers chose what they thought was best for the other students. “With Wall-E we could have robotic and outer-space subthemes.”

The seniors also had a hard time with their theme, Up.

Many seniors who didn’t show up at their meeting this year wanted the theme Toy Story. They assumed that it would be chosen as the theme.

But the ones who did show up voted for Up. The senior officers went with what the majority of the crowd wanted at the meeting.

“The big factor is, if you’re not at the meeting, you cannot complain,” said Kelsey Donovan, the senior class secretary. There was no revote.

Donovan said that the point of homecoming isn’t the theme, it is “becoming together as one.”