CampusCommunityNews

Planned Parenthood provides prophylactics

Planned Parenthood is a family planning organization that provides many services to mostly low-income adults and teenagers regarding reproductive health.

The organization offers many birth control services such as pills, diaphragms, condoms, female condoms, spermicides, and the Morning After Pill.

The Morning-After Pill is an emergency contraception that can prevent pregnancy up to 120 hours after unprotected sex, costing from $10 to $70. The pill is available without prescription for those ages 17 and older. Those16 and younger need to go to a health center or private health care provider for a prescription.

Along with contraceptives, Planned Parenthood also has a trained staff on location who can discuss pregnancy options or miscarriages, offer pregnancy planning service, fertility awareness education, adoption/abortion referrals, abortion services, and pregnancy testing.

There are two types of abortion available: in-clinic abortion and the abortion pill.The in-clinic abortion costs between $350 and $950 in the first trimester. The abortion pill is a safe and effective way to end an early pregnancy. It is available in Planned Parenthood health centers, with costs ranging from $350 to $650. In California, parental consent is not needed for a minor to get an abortion.

However, because Planned Parenthood provides abortions and receives federal funds, there has been much controversy over the organization. The U.S. House of Representatives voted 240-185 to cut federal funding to Planned Parenthood in Feb. 18, but the plan has not yet passed the U.S. Senate.

The nearest Planned Parenthood to Castro Valley is at 130 Ryan Industrial Court #115 in San Ramon.