Medical careers guest speaker informs and inspires students

Students listened attentively, leaning forward in their seats as a wave of relief finally washed over the once-tense room. Doctor Jessica Ing, an obstetrician, shared her and many others’ doubts and concerns following medical school and becoming a doctor, debunking them. From trial and error, being a doctor may not be as out of reach as many make it out to be.

“I think most people are capable of getting into med school and going to med school,” Ing said. “You don’t need to be brilliant. After all, most of it is dedication, discipline, and being able to go through it.”

At this, students eagerly took note of Ing’s words. Junior Laina Zhang mentioned, “Dr. Ing’s words were especially motivating for me as I learned about what the areas of healthcare have to offer. She reaffirmed that although the road to becoming a doctor is full of challenges, job satisfaction will come for those who are really passionate about the field.”

Medical school does not require an insane intelligence quotient but rather commitment to a career path that requires an incredulous amount of hard work. Ing mentioned, “If you’re not in it for the right reason a lot of people tend to get burnt out.”

Of course, if a career isn’t molded for the person in question then it would only be draining, even taxing. However, if it’s the latter it is most definitely worth it if enjoyment is found. Every career has its pros and cons so simply find the one with the most upsides — the one you find passion within and willing to work for. Ing said, “Don’t do it for money, it’s not worth it.” 

Though it’s the same with every other career, it’s recommended you enjoy the occupation you pursue and invest in. As for medical school, the bills are of absurd quantity and debt can easily rack up. Recent studies following March 2023 state the cost for public medical school floats around $53,420 per year. The various years medical school takes to complete is no joke and it’s worth mentioning the excruciating amount of time and effort required on top of it all.

Not to mention, whilst other occupations are already working, many of those pursuing a job within the medical field tend to still be in school and continue to have debts to pay off from schooling, etc. 

Furthermore, teacher Sue Anderson added, “Doctor Ing articulated the importance of women and girls being proactive with their healthcare decisions and making informed decisions. Ultimately, it’s really important for my students to hear from working professionals so we can put a face to the white coat. Often what we do is elevate those with the white coat, creating such a big trust gap. Instead, seeing healthcare practitioners as informed but grounded humans will make us more likely to trust the healthcare system. For my students, I hope they are more likely to enter that field as a career.” 

4 thoughts on “Medical careers guest speaker informs and inspires students

• Natalya D

I love that we have the opportunity to hear from visitors like this. I hope this encouraged and motivated many of the kids in med. careers.

• Santiago Soto

Wow this is just amazing how we get to have people like this visiting our campus

• Precious Bandiola

This really encouraged me on my journey to enter the medical field in the future. It also reminded me of the many guest speakers that visited when I was in Med Careers last year.

• Dylan Vuong

I like how a med careers had a guest to talk about med careers.