Feature

Nail business brings Cordiano’s creativity to life

Future ASB treasurer, junior Sara Cordiano, spoke about her home-based business as a certified nail technician. Cordiano, with total freedom and control, brings her creativity to life with every client she takes in. From making her own logo to having an official name—her work can all be found on Instagram: @createdbyyourstrulyy

“Sara spends quality time with you when having an appointment. Her work is careful and precise. She continues to grow and get better over time. As she just became a nail tech, her business has bloomed beautifully. Her hard work and devotion has really paid off,” commented junior Destiny O’Neill. 

Cordiano provides nail services such as gel manicures, acrylic nails, fills, and soak offs. With a consistent flow, Cordiano makes about $200+ monthly from her work. Nail length and specific hand painted designs determine the price. She charges $30 for short nails, around $50 for medium nails and $60 for long nails. 

It became regular for Cordiano’s mom to drag her along to the nail salon growing up. Within these walls, she found the process of nail services fascinating and the results even more. This growing love for beauty sparked the beginning of a passion. Soon came the desire to pursue more hands-on work. 

Having no experience, Cordiano put down $1,300 for a one-on-one certification class. She maneuvered from working in her bedroom to a dedicated workspace in her garage. 

“I learned the basics of acrylic application, shaping, disinfection, how to identify nail fungus, etc. After that point most of everything else I had learned was self taught, trial and error, or just from YouTube. Every day you learn something new and I had to figure out what techniques worked with me and what didn’t,” Cordiano said. 

Social media being the primary platform for inspiration, it was no struggle to incorporate the latest trends and techniques to further innovate and upkeep business. Cordiano manages schedules, stocks supplies, and, as expected, satisfies her clients’ needs. 

“Sara is really inspiring. Having a small business at 17 while maintaining school is insanely impressive! Her nails are always so cute and she makes each appointment comfortable with engaging conversation and a calm environment. If you need your nails, I 100% recommend going to Sara,” said junior Liliana Crawford. 

“I always love meeting new clients…to get to know them and learn more about their background, which helps with networking. What people don’t realize is that any self care service is a very therapeutic experience; I always have my clients comfortable, and let them know they can talk to me about anything,” claimed Cordiano. “I also enjoy seeing my clients leave feeling better about themselves. I love their reactions to their nails and it makes me feel good about myself too.”

Her parents encouraged taking on responsibilities alone, giving her a peek at real outside work. A job in her aunt’s restaurant at the age of 12 gave her preparation for owning a one-woman business today. She volunteers whenever having the chance and does extracurricular activities too.

A hectic schedule came with the difficulty of being consistent and making progress. Essentially, she set time aside to rest mentally and not fall off track. Whether it is in between going to work as a barista or tending to her three-year-old niece, balance is key to her success. 

In the future, Cordiano hopes to go down a full time cosmetology route and explore more beauty services. 

2 thoughts on “Nail business brings Cordiano’s creativity to life

• When the elections for the ASB positions were held, I voted for Sara. When she presented her background in money handling and knowledge of the “real world,” I knew I was going to vote for her. As someone who also works many hours outside of School, I can understand the hardships that come with having to juggle your time.

• Zean Ylaya

I am extremely proud to call Sara my friend. Her devotion and passion for working and her driven self makes me feel inspired if I do say so myself, She has so much going on for her in the future and her presence just shows that. I am astonished that she is just a 17 year old and has already have a business and is going to be my future ASB Senior treasurer. I can tell that her future is going to be so bright. PS I got my nails done by her and they turned out amazing so go to her for nails, TRUST you will be wanting to go back for more.