FeatureSlider

CVHS PTSA president wins parent volunteer of the year award

In her third year as the PTSA president, Rachel Seyranian has been awarded the honor of parent volunteer of the year. Her devoted time and hard work for all CVUSD schools are seen through her continued leadership throughout the pandemic. 

Before being involved in PTSA, Seyranian taught kindergarten and first grade for seven years until she became a full-time parent. As a former teacher and a parent, she knows from personal experience how best to serve the school. 

“It has been very humbling and eye-opening experience to learn from the other people on the board, cause everyone just brings in their own knowledge and expertise and their personalities,” said Seyranian. 

As PTSA president she assembles guest speakers, manages the agenda for all the meetings, and helps her fellow board members serve CVHS with precision and responsiveness. Seyranian is provocative in solving problems brought up by teachers, students, parents, and administrators by exploring how PTSA can help them, either by supporting them or responding on their behalf. 

Due to the pandemic, PTSA meetings have gone virtual, but that doesn’t mean that Seyranian has given up connecting with parents and students. “It is much easier for parents to join in and for guest speakers to join in because they are at home and they aren’t having to reschedule things and can do it in the privacy of their own home,” explained Seyranian. 

In her usual selfless style, Seyranian reminded us that it takes a village. “Those parents should also preserve a great pat on the back as well for dedicating their time and committing the very few hours they have in order to help,” said Seyranian.

Not only has Seyranian been instrumental at CVHS, but she has also been involved in the parent organizations at Creekside and Palomares. She has attended every homecoming parade and is an active member of the CVHS community. Her son has also been a helpful member of the PTSA board. 

“As student body representative, I have to know what is going on between PTSA and what the student body wants. There is a lot of communication between me and her. It has strengthened our relationship as mom and son and logistically as well,” said Elliott Seyranian. 

Seyranian wants to encourage parents to get connected with teachers and PTSA. “It is an amazing way to get involved. It is a way to talk to other parents about what they are going through with their kids and advocating for them. We still need parents,” said Seyranian.