CVHS Pops 2013 “rains” talent

Dancers take on the rain and thunder in an upbeat dance number in this year’s CVHS Pops Concert, “Heart of the Storm.”

Smiling audiences left the Center for the Arts after seeing this year’s CVHS Pops Concert, “Heart of the Storm.”

Taking a twist on the familiar “boy meets girl” story line, this year’s show incorporated weather-themed songs, like “Heatwave,” “Set Fire to the Rain,” and “It’s Raining Men.”

With an intriguing plot, comical lines, and a display of extraordinary talent, Pops 2013 proved to be a must-see performance that enlightened viewers about the true meaning of love.

“I loved the feeling of performing on stage!” exclaimed junior Katherine Gaudinier, who became involved in Pops for the first time this year. “I feel that this experience strengthened the bonds between us choir students and made us more of a family.”

“We really became like a family after working together for months to create a great show,” agreed senior Tiffany Wong. “Pops is an integral part of the CVHS choral program and we are lucky to have it unique to the CV community.”

The show follows the growing love of the characters Rachel and Damien, who, when they first meet, feel an immediate spark. As time passes, they are finally able to admit their love for one another and express their appreciation for having the other in their life. However, conflict strikes when Keira, a girl who also has feelings for Damien, attempts to end his relationship with Rachel. Damien’s loyalty is soon tested when Keira invites everyone to her house for a party and the two are left alone. When Rachel returns and sees them kissing, she storms off as Damien runs after her, trying to explain.

For weeks, the separated couple suffers from heartbreak, but manages to cope with the support of their friends, and of course, the comfort found within singing songs. As Rachel struggles with her newfound independence, Damien searches for a way to prove his love for her. The two are eventually reunited when Keira explains to Rachel that it was her who was responsible for the kiss, and that she had only been trying to win Damien’s love by breaking up the couple’s relationship. Rachel and

Damien realize that even though they may face challenges, their love for each other would remain strong.

From hit songs like “It Will Rain” by Bruno Mars to Keane’s “Somewhere Only We Know,” the cast presented a truly radiating performance that proved entertaining for all. With beautiful harmonies, powerful solos, and well-choreographed dances, it is unquestionable how much effort the talented students dedicated to producing such a spectacular performance.

“The Pops concert is one of the hallmarks of the choir department,” said junior Christy Munson. “Although it’s a really challenging period in the year, it’s all worth it in the end once we show it to the community. It’s always well-received and it’s extremely gratifying knowing that we came together to prepare it. Everyone involved gets to be a part of something really special at CVHS.”