Entertainment

Check out The Great Gatsby, old sport

Daisy Buchanan (Haley Pryde) and Jay Gatsby (Mickey Slakey) share a romantic moment together. Photo by Callie Ross-Smith.

The newest CVHS production, The Great Gatsby, captures what love is and how it affects people and other relationships around them. The play, which will run from May 2 to May 11,  has all the lavishly loud parties and the confused feelings that are constantly seen from the infamous novel, or most recently, the movie that was released last year.

Mickey Slakey successfully portrays the charming title character through speech patterns and all the way down to the very movement of his feet as he dances to a jazzy tune with the leading lady, Daisy Buchanan, who is played by Haley Pryde.

Other characters come to life as well, such as the jealous husband Tom Buchanan, played by Zach Cutler-Orrey, who convincingly struggles to keep Daisy, making the audience forget that this is a high school play.

The two-part play effectively allows for the build-up of the romance, and then shows Tom Buchanan piece together Gatsby’s mysterious past. The audience may break into tears when narrator Nick Carraway says the final words of the play: “No one cares! Where’s the party goers now?”

The show begins on May 2, 3, 9 and 10 at 7 p.m. and on May 4 and 11 at 2 p.m. Tickets are on sale now and can be purchased at the district website or at the door starting at $10. Check it out, “old sport!”

Evan Kwong

What you think about drugs and smart drugs? Modafinil, nootropics and other drugs you can find here: nootropics online