Rumors dominates the stage

Wealthy, gossiping socialites took over the Center for the Arts as the fall play production of Rumors made its debut at CVHS.

The play, written by Neil Simon in 1988, is about four wealthy couples going to a high brow party, only to find out the host has shot himself…in the ear lobe. The story was set in the late 1980s and the play was true to that time. Landlines, car phones, and even fundraisers for odd diseases were all part of the story line.

“I won’t sleep with you until you tell me. What’s the rumor?!?” yelled actress Amanda Bailey, playing as Claire Ganz. The whole show was hilariously funny and definitely caught the audience off guard.
The play ended on a huge cliffhanger. Lenny Ganz, played by Jacob Carmack, ended the show with a huge rendition of things he made up on the spot explaining why Charlie Brock, the real owner of the house, ended up shooting himself. One of the things he mentioned was that Myra, Charlie’s wife, got stuck in the basement. At the end of the show there were cries coming from beyond — and it turned out to be Myra stuck in the basement!

The best scene of all was Cassie and Glenn Cooper’s first argument, played by Allison Mitobe and Matt Skinner, respectively. Mitobe did a wonderful job playing a wife who just couldn’t decide what she really wanted from her husband. After several minutes of complaining about not enough attention from her husband, she acts like he smothers her!

The actors and actresses did an amazing job with the play and really made the script come to life. The audience was really into it, and gave positive feedback throughout the play.