“Friday” baffles listeners

YouTube viewers all across the world were baffled when 13-year-old Rebecca Black’s new single, “Friday,” became an instant viral video in a matter of a few days. Although the video was first uploaded on Feb. 10, Black’s new song shot up to nearly 50,000,000 views in just this past week alone.

When “Friday” first began to garner attention from viewers all over the world, many people were confused if it was actually a legitimate song or simply a satire making fun of today’s pop music. One begins to question how serious Black is about becoming an artist when her first single contains lyrics such as “Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday…Today i-is Friday, Friday…Tomorrow is Saturday and Sunday comes after…wards. I don’t want this weekend to end.”

One can only imagine the millions of bemused faces upon hearing such profound lyrics. Yes, Rebecca Black…if today was Friday then tomorrow would indeed be Saturday. Showing her deep insight on the days of the week, Black takes her argument further by even suggesting that Sunday comes after Saturday.

At this precise moment in the song, it wouldn’t be too farfetched to say that countless number of people were beginning to realize that this could not possibly be a song to be taken seriously. But in a recent interview, it was revealed that Black was indeed serious about becoming an artist and that she had a fun time recording the song.

With that in mind, just remember to tell yourself that she is still only a 13-year-old girl who hasn’t even entered high school yet. Don’t expect too much from listening to “Friday,” but just relax and enjoy the profound lyrics of Ms. Black. I guarantee that you will not be disappointed.