CVHS cross country boys runners race towards success

The Castro Valley boys varsity cross country team surprised everybody with their dramatic improvement throughout the season. The team came in fourth at the WACC finals at Hayward High School with a score of 92 on the three mile course.

The varsity boys started off the season with a score of 175 and improved by 83 points. Other schools were taken by surprise with the team’s huge advance on time.

“The season went well since we grew as a team and new talent showed up,” said team captain Peter Normann.  

Castro Valley’s first finisher and fifth overall was Reilly Berberian with a time of 16:27. Nick Downs from Bishop O’Dowd finished first with 15:41. Piedmont High School was the winning team for boys varsity with a score of 53, followed by Bishop O’Dowd with 75.

Cross country involves individual strength, but it is a team effort and everyone must work together in order for their school to succeed. The tough workouts and close bond the varsity boys share has prepared them for difficult meets, and their sportsmanship and encouragement clearly shows through their teamwork.

“We’re the underdogs,” said Normann before the varsity boys had their race. “Show them what we’re made of, they won’t expect us coming.”

That is exactly what happened at the WACC finals and the Trojan varsity boys are confident they will do well at the NCS championships.