Loving Lucy Just Got Better

Recently, I had the privilege to view a play which took place at the heart of the bay, San Francisco. The comical play was based off of the American television series I Love Lucy, which aired from 1951 to 1960. The play is a piece of comedic gold, and although I found it to be not as satisfactory as the original television show, it was entertaining nonetheless.

The play takes you back to the 1950s and the Desilu Studios to witness the filming of two episodes of the sitcom, but, of course, they did not stop there. The show also featured a television studio host, as well as vintage styled live musical advertisements. It truly was an experience like no other.

Not only did the classic comedy take place in Lucy and Ricky Ricardo’s apartment in New York, the show also takes place in the Tropicana Nightclub, where The Ricky Ricardo Orchestra performs, and the scene has live music similar to the energetic Cuban entertainment that America has come to know and love.

Although the play is closely based on the CBS television series, “I Love Lucy,” it is not intended to copy the original program, but rather created to celebrate the series and honor the longest-running, as well as most famous, television show in history.

With that being said, I feel as if the play could be so much more. I was somewhat disappointed that the play left out some minor details that made the overall experience just not feel like it should have. For instance, they left out Ricky Ricardo’s famous line which was depicted in nearly every episode: “Oh Lucy, I’m home!”

The actors of the play, however, were able to closely mimic the actors of the original show. They even got it down to Ricky’s accent.

If you enjoy the television show, then I highly recommend watching this play.