FeatureSports

You can’t go wrong with ping pong!

The aux gym was packed with former contestants and spectators, who watched in silent anticipation. Everytime a team scored there would be an uptick of chatter before the room would fall back to focus on the game. Each game was close but the Knee Brothers pulled ahead every time to the win. On Nov. 17, the annual CVHS ping-pong tournament concluded with a victory for the Knee Brothers who defeated the Sweaty Tryhards, 3-0. 

The Knee Brothers Ethan Lunes and Max Fruin both walked out of the Aux Gym with not much to say and a lot to show as their friends crowded around to speak to them and look at the trophies. When asked why they chose their team name, Fruin responded. “We both had knee injuries so we chose the Knee Brothers.”

This year the elimination bracket consisted of 16 teams: Zero Zero, Asian Invasion, Hassan Soubra, TRR4EVA, Kashish Rolls, The Destroyers, Backpack Battlers, Sweaty Tryhards, Maitime To Win, Asia, Knee Brothers, Teacher Feature, Hermanas, Shanghai Sharks, WiffWaff Wizards, and Mik + Evan. Games were played during lunch over the week Monday to Friday, with the first two days dedicated to finishing all opening bracket games.

Of special note, the team Teacher Feature featured Juan Escalante and a student who competed in the tournament but were eliminated by the Knee Brothers in the opening bracket on Monday.

This annual tournament had tough competition and unique names. Congratulations to the Knee Brothers, whose bond in knee injuries will be forever remembered.

One thought on “You can’t go wrong with ping pong!

• Maxim Boychuk

Great story! I read through this and I instantly got the urge to play ping pong. Seems like a lot of fun.