SliderSports

Volleyball seniors sent off with a win

The Trojans defeated the Encinal Jets, yet again, on Oct. 20; the CVHS girl’s volleyball team won 3-1 at their last home game of the season, which also happened to be their senior night. The nine seniors honored were Maddie Low, Gaby Schirado, Amber Huizar, Kaylie Gomes, Bianca Petalver, Roisin Nugent, Kara Matthews, Maria Fanger, and Mia Wierzba. 

The game was preceded by a ceremony, complete with tiaras, gifts, flowers, and a fog machine. The ceremony honored the CVHS seniors, as well as the seniors from Encinal. 

“It’s always sad to see seniors go, so it feels weird to finally be a senior. It all feels very bittersweet” said Low.

“Bonding with the team is the best part because we’ve all grown together,” said Nugent. 

The game was off to a good start when the Trojans easily won the first set 25-9. The second set had a rocky start; the Jets were quite a few points in the lead until the Trojans caught up and it was close until the very end when the Trojans won 25-23. The Trojans unfortunately lost the third set 20-25, but it was extremely close the entire time and they put up a good fight. After the loss, the Trojans were able to redeem themselves and easily won the fourth, and therefore last, set 25-14. 

“I’m pretty psyched about the win because it was our last home game”, said Fanger.

Coach Maggie Del Grande said, “That was a really important win for us because that clinched our spot in the playoffs, and I’m really proud of our seniors”.

After this win, the Trojans advanced to the playoffs against Cal High on Oct. 25 where they unfortunately lost.