SliderSports

Freshmen, juniors win thrilling football game

The girls flag football game wrapped up excitingly on Friday, April 8. The junior and freshman team just barely emerged victorious, with a final score of 14-12. Both teams performed incredibly well and showed how much they’ve been practicing.

The seniors and sophomores started strong, scoring twice in the first half and held the juniors and freshmen to zero points. Senior Lauren Green made a 40-yard run for a touchdown in the second quarter. 

The game itself wasn’t the only piece of entertainment that night. The spirit boys put on a wonderfully choreographed halftime show. At the end of their dance, senior spirit boy Diego McManus pulled out a poster and bouquet of flowers and suddenly he “promposed” in front of an entire stadium!

After a breathtaking halftime performance put on by the spirit boys, the juniors made a quick comeback in the second half. MVP Taylor Hodges made two touchdowns, and the juniors scored a two-point conversion on top of that, bringing the score to 12 to 14. They stopped the seniors from scoring a single time up until the last few controversial seconds. 

In the final moments of the game, the seniors were making a last ditch run for the endzone and it seemed like they were going to make it, but junior Natalia Perez pulled the runner’s flag just steps away from the line. Many of those on the senior team felt they had scored but the referees said otherwise. The game ended with a score of 14-12; juniors and freshmen took the win! Many seniors and sophomores are still frustrated with the outcome, but the juniors and freshman were all smiles.

“You guys over-exceeded every expectation I had,” junior and freshman coach Deven Salinas said to his team after the game.

“I think we did really great, I mean I pulled a flag once so I’m happy with that,” an excited Charlotte Carpenter said.

6 thoughts on “Freshmen, juniors win thrilling football game

• I was there at the game and it was really fun. The game was very exciting and entertaining. And the spirit boy’s performance was impressive. Especially the halftime show and the prom proposal was very cute. I wish our school could have more events like this.

• This game was so fun to play in! I can’t wait to do it again next year. The coaches did such a great job teaching us all how to play the sport that they love the most. The seniors and sophomores were great competitors and didn’t give us an easy game.

• It was an amazing experience and the game was so exciting! I was glad that the juniors and freshmen won, being that I was on the team, but the seniors and sophomores did great as well. Practices were hard and left me and a few of my friends sore beyond belief, but it was incredibly rewarding. I’m glad one of my friends convinced me to sign up for this because it was the most fun I’d had this year.

• anonymous

I think this article reflected the game really well. Even as a participant, I didn’t even know that most of these things happened so it was nice to be able to read a recap of what I missed. I like how a quote from a coach is included as well as a player. This article leaves room for discussion which is really important.

• Serjio C

It was a really fun game to watch and to help coach.

• Matthew Tam

Fun event to experience!